─ chapter seven

*trigger warning: detailed flashback of a car crash

*trigger warning: detailed flashback of a car crash.*

-

"It's no problem, honestly. But how is it your fault?" Kenzie questioned. "Whatever it is, I highly doubt that it's your fault." She said softly, looking at Elyse.

"My dad passed away in a car accident a month ago," Elyse said, fresh tears forming in her eyes as she recalled the incident.

"Only forty-five minutes left!" Rudolf said, making the two girls cheer. As much as they had enjoyed the trip and quality time in the mountains, five hours in a car were too much especially with all the pit stops due to Autumn's small bladder.

"We had been in the car for hours, and we were picking on each other a bit..." Elyse explained.

"Finally!" Elyse exclaimed. "This car is making me claustrophobic."
"I just need a bit of warmth." Autumn said, while she was wearing a bunch of coats.
"I am sorry to say you inherited your mom's lack of resistance from the cold. When I was your age I was..." Kristoff began.
"Breaking ice with a pickaxe wearing a single jacket." The cousins finished, laughing as Kristoff's mouth opened.
"I've said that one before haven't I?"
"Several times, brother, several times." Rudolf laughed, putting an arm on his brother-in-law's shoulder.

"Especially on Uncle Kristoff, he loves repeating stories over and over." Elyse continued. "We were laughing and my dad took his eyes off the road for two seconds. Just two seconds to wink at Autumn and I..."

"Dad, watch out!" Elyse screamed as her eyes caught something no one else saw.

"There was a truck, heading right towards us. The roads were icy, and they were driving in the centre of the road. It hit mine and my dad's side, breaking the windows. Being the fool i am, I put my arm to the side as if to block the impact which is how this came to be." Elyse said, holding up her arm to Kenzie. At that moment, she was full on crying, not even caring about making noise. Kenzie had tears pricking in her own eyes, her jaw dropped open. She slowly reached her hand out and placed it on top of Elyse's.

"It's okay. I'm here for you. You can stop if you can't take it." Kenzie said gently.

"I have to get it off my chest." Elyse managed to say, composing herself. "I'm not quite sure what happened next, I was in too much pain. Uncle Kristoff got knocked unconscious at some point and Autumn was screaming. Somehow Autumn got out, so she could get her dad out, but my door was completely jammed. Dad tried to open it but..."

"It isn't opening! Autumn, help me out!" Rudolf called out.
"Dad isn't waking up!!" Autumn yelled back. "Get her out of my side!"
"Why didn't I think of that?" Rudolf mumbled, running around the car.