Truth

Two Years Later

__ __ __

Ed will relish the day he gets to sleep in. Last night was a huge bitch, and now he's got to go in for work. Four hours of sleep makes him feel like shit because it will make anyone feel like shit. He wishes his dorm had a coffee marker or a mini fridge or something that would create a specific substance that would wake him up.

He kicks the door open to Roy's office like any other day. Al is behind him, thinking Ed hasn't noticed the kitten hiding in his armor, but he has. He can smell the tiny creature just fine. Roy rolls his eyes at Ed's rude antics, not that Ed gives a shit.

What does a sixteen year old have to do to get some sleep? He doesn't know the answer because he's never had what is considered normal in today's bullshit society. God, he should have went to a café or some place first. No caffeine minus sleep equals little shit Ed. No, not little. Ed isn't little. His height just shows personality.

"Good morning, Fullmetal," Roy greets in a bored and tired tone.

"Gee, sir. If I may say, you look like shit," Ed states sarcastically.

"No, you may not say," Roy scoffs.

Al quietly sits at the couches, not wanting to reveal the kitten everyone knows is there. Riza is laying new stacks of paperwork on Roy's desk, bringing darker shadows under his eyes. Riza leaves with an acknowledgement to the brothers, and shuts the door with kindness.

"What goose chase do you have for me today, sir?" Ed asks as he stands before the Colonel.

"None, sadly. I would love it for you to be gone for at least a week," Roy mocks a sigh.

It's a game the two like to play. Ed has never figured out why, but being dicks to each other just seemed to fit. Neither one of them take it too seriously, and they have silent rules regarding the name calling and crude teasing. Like no short jokes or rain pranks.

Ed doesn't mind these times with Roy. If anything, it brought them closer. It's refreshing to be casual with his boss, and it gives him a relatable figure. Roy gets some of the things Ed's going through, and they don't let that take them over.

"Then why'd you call me here, sir?" Ed clicks his tongue in mild annoyance. Is this douché saying he didn't have to come here, and totally could have slept in? 'Cause that's what it sounds like.

"We've got a homicide case."

"Another one? That's the fourth in the past month," Ed frowns. "They were all dead ends."

"The soldiers stationed there think it's all connected," Roy states.

"A serial killer?" Al gasps.

"Not one, but two," Roy corrects.

"Two serial killers? Are they working together?" Ed questions.

"They don't know. That's why I called you. You've worked plenty of homicides since you were thirteen. You and Alphonse have studied human behavior, and have used it successfully. It would only make sense to send you two down there as soon as possible," Roy rambles.

Ed groans loudly. "By soon, you mean now, don't you?"

"Of course. You'll be meeting up with Major Armstrong and Lieutenant Colonel Hughes in an hour. Here's the dossiers." Roy hands Ed two files, one for each brother.