Draco crawled to his knees in front of her and took her hands in his. They were cold.

"If anything goes wrong," he started, straining to keep his voice even, "if anything happens to me... please, move on."

She twitched as his words jabbed her in the HEART and looked away, biting her lower lip to stifle the pain.

"No," she mouthed barely audibly.

Draco tightened his hands around hers in frustration.

"You have to!" he pushed, his anger rising as he fought with his helplessness. "You have to forget about me too, you have to move on! I want you to!"

She was careful to keep her gaze away from him, closing her eyes tightly shut.

"What good have I ever been to you? I want you to forget me!" he yelled.

Maria felt the air being squeezed out of her lungs. His cruel words had ripped out the last remains of her tortured heart. The DEPRESSINGfeeling was gone; now she was angry. Before he knew it, she had sprung to her feet, alive again, and was shouting at the top of her lungs. The boat was rocking unsteadily.

"What good?" she shrieked, her broken, hoarse voice mirroring her insides. "WHAT GOOD? You’re the best damn thing that ever happened to me!"

Draco promptly rose to his feet.

"Listen to-"

The already swaying boat tipped to the side and sent both of them splashing into the water. The cold soaked her clothes and penetrated her SKIN, numbing her senses... numbing her pain. For a second, she wanted to stay there and let her body freeze over, but a pair of strong arms wrapped around her and yanked her out of the soothing, cold water. They pulled her into the boat and into a pleasantly warm chest. She cringed in advance, bracing herself for the flow of desperation that would submerge her once again.

It didn’t.

That’s when she realized that his warm presence was infinitely better than the numbing feeling. That she didn’t care if being with him now would hurt her beyond repair later. That she loved him, no matter what, and that she always would.

She slid her arms around his neck and pulled herself closer to him. He kissed her hair and she sighed unevenly, tormented. He winced at the sound of her pain: this was wrong. Love wasn’t supposed to hurt. He didn’t want to hurt her.

He groaned, releasing Maria before attempting to row the boat back into motion towards the shore.

"No!"

Her hands flew to the paddles, holding them still. Draco’s eyes locked with hers; he wasn’t angry - more desperate, out of arguments. He too was only yearning to stay, although it was probably the worst things to do. He let her crawl back into his arms, his heart beating madly in canon with hers. He couldn’t resist: every now and then, he kissed her hair, her cheek, her neck, her hands... burning her skin with his lips. They were themselves again; whole.