The Cue

The last day of class went smoothly; a bit too smoothly to Maria’s taste. It was as though the whole school was aware of their plan and was joining them in their endless wait. Usually, Maria beamed at the thought of the summer holidays, but not this year. This year, she knew that summer would mean more deaths and more danger… especially for Draco. She knew that once she stepped outside of Hogwarts, she would become a mere spectator, unable to act. She truly hoped that, even amidst the war, the school would reopen in September so that she could be of some assistance in this fight against the Dark Lord. She had a feeling that Draco wouldn’t be coming back next year, but she honestly didn’t want to talk about it; it would only worsen their already bipolar relationship. 

Sitting in Charms class, she silently wished for Professor Flitwick to keep on talking forever; consequently, she couldn’t help but feel her heart sink sadly when he dismissed the students. She then dragged herself up to the library, where she gladly started studying for her countless exams; anything to keep her mind busy. She spent her entire weekend there, and certainly wasn’t the only one doing so. Draco, of course, was almost always there too, but they didn’t speak much since they both didn’t fancy discussing their usual heavy subject.

Monday passed, and Maria’s exams had gone pretty well as far as she was concerned. Tuesday’s exams proved to be just as plain and eventless. However, by Wednesday, Maria was really getting worried. She just couldn’t take the passive waiting any longer; she was going to go crazy if something didn’t happen soon. Could Dumbledore have forgotten? But he had clearly told her that he would warn her when the time came… perhaps there had been a misunderstanding? She drummed her fingernails nervously on her desk. Upon revising her Arithmancy test for the fifth time, her mind had finally wandered off to this preoccupying subject. She subtly looked around her; Hermione was still deeply concentrated on the parchment in front of her. Maybe she knew something worth sharing, or maybe Harry knew something she didn’t. She made a mental note to go looking for him once this unending exam was over. Meanwhile, she looked at the blond figure a few rows in front of her. He was staring blankly at the large ticking clock on Professor Vector’s desk at the front of the class. He was probably having the same thoughts as Maria. Why was Dumbledore taking so long? Could they have missed his cue?

Professor Vector collected the last exam with a flick of his wand and the students started chattering at once. Maria didn’t need telling twice: she darted in Hermione’s direction.

"Hermione!" she called out.

The bushy haired witch turned around and was a bit thwarted by Maria’s gruffness.

"Hi, what was your answer for the last question?"

"Seven," Maria replied automatically, "but I was wondering, have you seen Harry?"

"No, but I suppose he’s in the common room, why?"

"I just wanted to ask him something, that’s all."

"I’ll pass the message," Hermione consented amiably.

"Thanks."

Hermione then left the class room as Maria made her way back to her desk to retrieve her things. She was left perplexed when she saw them missing. She looked up and noticed Draco, who was holding out her packed bag to her. A strange atmosphere settled between them, between the many things they left untold, between the many tensions that wouldn’t slacken.