Wild Week

The Great Hall had suddenly gone dead-quiet as everyone simply stared in astonishment. Were Draco Malfoy, big bad Slytherin, and Maria Cleaver, reserved and studious goody-goody, kissing? Every student’s bulging eyes were glued to the pair, all of them wondering collectively what in the world was happening.

"I think they’ve had enough shock for today…" Draco whispered under his breath to Maria’s ear, a soft smile in his voice, right after they had broken the kiss.

Maria looked around and, somehow, felt observed. Her cheeks rapidly imitated two huge red-hot tomatoes as she became conscious of their position; not only were they still literally tangled up in each other’s arms, but students had actually climbed on the tables to get a better view, forming a flawless circle around them. Subtle. Very Subtle.

Fortunately for the pair, at this precise moment, the teachers who had been out walked back into the room, Dumbledore at their head. He was about to bellow "SILENCE!" but found it unnecessary since everyone was already peculiarly silent. He made his way to the other end of the room and mounted the modest platform where the teachers’ table stood as heads slowly turned in his direction. Maria, grabbing her chance, darted in the opposite direction, dragging Draco behind by his sleeve. They listened, from the very back of the room, to Dumbledore’s speech, hands twined, hearts rushing, breathing still ragged, skin feverishly hot. It was a challenge to focus on the Headmaster’s words. He confirmed that the men had indeed been Death Eaters, accompanied by Dementors. He quickly reassured them however, that everyone was fine – or at least going to be. He finished off by stating that, considering the circumstances, Hogsmeade visits would probably be banned and that he would advise the students again when the rules would be decisive. Prefects were then asked to escort their houses to their respective dormitories. Maria, still a bright shade of red in the face, and Draco very ungracefully parted, both somehow eager to disappear from the crowd’s avid eye. 

They hurriedly led the students in a highly uncomfortable and awkward silence. Maria was only too happy to finally reach her comfortable bed; although, she couldn’t find sleep. Thoughts of what had happened that day kept her awake. This time, she let her mind wander on its own, not trying to block anything out; it simply felt too good. She knew it would hurt her later; that the pain would be worse, but the momentary bliss was impossible to resist. She thought of Draco, of his soft yet powerful touch, of how it still burned on her lips. She thought of the fireworks that had set off in the pit of her stomach, of that indescribable feeling that seemed to crawl underneath her skin whenever they touched. She had never felt so alive in her entire life; and somehow, it was all because of a boy named Draco Malfoy.

On his side, Draco, amid the terrible events that had occurred, was in heaven. He remembered the way Maria’s hands had instinctively found the back of his neck, running through his hair, messing it up. He remembered how his breath had caught in his throat - it was still uneven. He remembered her addictive scent and the thought sent pleasant shivers down his spine… and heart. The hole was filled. The wounds were scared. He wanted to hold her, he wanted to kiss her again and see her breathtaking smile. He had never experienced this feeling before, nothing even remotely close to it, and did it feel awesome. Forget the silly butterflies, these were real life fireworks taking flight and exploding inside of him.

Once the students were in their dormitories and that Maria and Draco were out of sight, what had been a very silent crowd suddenly became very agitated and talkative. Everybody, naturally, had his own point of view on the newly disclosed couple; although it was found most of them tended to defend Maria. People just couldn’t imagine how she possibly could have brought herself to do that - her spotless reputation sticking to her - so they blamed Malfoy. Some were convinced she had acted under the effects of a love potion, others, more dramatic, were certain that Malfoy had imperiused her. In brief, no one was left indifferent. Also, the fact that they had just been attacked by half a dozen of Death Eaters only created more drama and disturbance. However, this last event they had just witnessed was as troubling; not to say even more. In short, all the Slytherins wanted to beat Malfoy up to a pulp; meanwhile, Pansy had her own plans on poisoning Maria’s pumpkin juice and brewing a love potion for Draco’s. The Gryffindors mostly thought ‘How could she?’ while the Hufflepuffs were left wondering ‘What the …?’ Hermione was thinking ‘Oh no’ since she had somehow seen this coming. Cho was, for perhaps the first time, left speechless as Davies just couldn’t believe she had left him for, well, him. As a matter of fact, everyone was left with a common questioning: why him? For all Davies knew, he was, of course, better; but then again, that was just for all he knew.