Beautiful

"Can I ask you something personal?"

"Like I’d say no to you now."

Maria blushed, feeling the temperature in her cheeks rise. She was literally sprawled out across Draco, who was himself laid back against a tree. They were staring into the Black Lake’s abyss, sometimes catching a glimpse of the ever playful Giant Squid. They had chatted away most of the afternoon before finally resorting to huddling together and simply enjoying the present moment in a tender silence… that was until Maria had spoken her mind.

"What do you think of yourself?" she asked still trying to piece together the mystery she had fallen for.

Draco smirked, although it wasn’t for what one would have thought it was. He really couldn’t hide anything from her, and for once he didn’t care. He actually appreciated it. She was the only one to value the ‘Draco’ in him, not the ‘Malfoy’. 

"Does it matter?"

She looked up to his serene face, his bluish-grey eyes capturing hers. She bore a slight look of surprise. He gently brushed a lost strand of golden brown hair to the side of her temple.

"What did you expect?" he said with a small laugh.

Her eyes narrowed smartly; her skin was still feverishly hot and tingling from where he had just grazed her.

"Dull bragging," she suggested teasingly.

"Well, I am brilliant."

There was a short pause during which Draco grinned agreeably.

"I’ve mentioned you to my parents, in a letter," she confessed delightfully.

Draco’s grin turned into a hesitant scowl. 

"It’s dangerous, Maria, and-"

"Will you stop for just one second!" she piped up at once, but managed to soothe her short temper again. She was the only one who could silence him so easily. "You don’t have to worry; I didn’t say your name. I just mentioned a guy."

The guy in question’s face softened, growing back its previous grin. 

"You mentioned a guy," he emphasized, his grin twisting ironically, "I think I deserve more than a mention."

"Who was it protesting not two seconds ago?" Maria defended vigorously.

"You."

His smirk was irrefutable; she rolled her eyes desperately and looked back into the murky depths of the lake. When Draco couldn’t see, she gave into a small smile.

"Your temper tantrums are rather amusing," he added, discretely trying to make up for her despair with him. He was playing absent-mindedly with a strand of her hair, sending delightful shivers down her spine.