Goodbyes

"How can I ever forget you?" he asked after they had just broken the kiss.

He was holding her head up to him and looking right into her wet, beautiful eyes. It was a while before she mastered her frantic breathing to speak.

"You know just as WELL as I do that it’s the only thing left to do, so don’t argue, ‘cause I’ll just do it anyway," she warned, frowning helplessly – she didn’t have it in her to fight back anymore.

He didn’t look away, and she held his gaze defiantly. He couldn’t contradict her words, because he agreed with them too. The Dark Lord would have sooner or later found out about Draco’s betrayal, which would have put not only him, but also Maria in great danger. Why is it that the right choice is always the hardest one? ‘Why did I have to commit to the right path…’ he thought sarcastically. A small smirk suddenly lightened his face, to Maria’s surprise – who still bore her exasperated and obstinate expression.

"I have no doubt that you would," Draco taunted.

She actually let out a small laugh: the sound of it relieved him beyond measure.

"But," he added in an amusing tone, "I’d rather you waited ‘til tomorrow to tamper with my mind – not that you haven’t already been doing it all year – because we still have one whole day of blissful peace ahead."

He was desperately trying to make her smile – concealing as best as he could the sour, pained edge to his voice – and it had worked. He took her hand and they had just started walking towards the castle when Maria caught a glimpse of the red and gold feathered bird perched high in a distant tree. She suddenly let go of Draco’s hand and, under his curious stare, made her way to the small bush by the lake’s shore. She searched it roughly and picked a single blood-red wild flower out of the many leaves and shrubbery before grabbing Draco’s hand again and leading him to Dumbledore’s tomb, which was now resting beneath a mound of white flowers. Draco caught on to her idea at once and followed her between the rows of now vacant seats. He stood right by her side when she dropped the wild flower on top of all the other white ones and when she backed up to admire the effect. It stood out magnificently; a bright splash of vibrant color among its dull surroundings, an unmistakable symbol of hope – of life. Upon taking in the sight, Maria swore to herself that she would be STRONG no matter what happened and never give up on hope. If there was but one thing that Dumbledore had successfully taught his pupils, it was that.

***

They walked to the Black Lake’s modest dock where they jumped into a boat. Maria had only done this once or twice in all her years at Hogwarts. Draco paddled away from the shore in silence, while Maria stared overboard into the lake’s black abyss. He watched her attentively as he rowed; she seemed so sad, so heartbroken that his insides churned horribly at her sight. He lived for one thing; to know she was happy. Happy with or without him. And he wanted to make sure of that before she erased his memory. He had to. The boat came to a halt in the mirror-like water. Maria didn’t look up.

"Can I ask you something?" His voice was soft, measured and controlled. He hoped it would stay that way.

She lifted her head; her eyes were liquid, but still strangely dry. Her eyebrows were furrowed, yet her forehead was smooth. She seemed stone-like, still submerged in her thoughts and emotions.