Why?

Draco pushed open the hospital wing’s door and helped Maria in. The silence was also heavy in the room, and Harry, Hermione, Ron, Luna, Tonks, Lupin and McGonagall sat at Neville’s and a red head’s bedside. By the look on their faces, it was clear they already knew about what had happened. Madam Pomfrey suddenly came into sight.

"Oh dear," the nurse uttered feebly as she saw Draco clutching a battered up Maria.

Everyone turned around at once before freezing sceptically. The newly-arrived pair also stopped in their tracks, uncertain; Draco wasn’t quite sure of how they considered him now due to his cooperation in the night’s dreadful events.

Harry, of all people, nodded to Draco. His gesture showed tolerance, but no more. The pair then walked the rest of the way under the blank stares of the people already seated as Madam Pomfrey hurried to help Maria.

"I’m fine, thank you," the young witch insisted stubbornly.

The nurse still managed to conjure a chair and push it under the exhausted and sore Maria. Draco, who was standing, remained slightly behind as everyone’s scrutinizing gaze was on him. He shifted uncomfortably, lowering his head shamefully while his audience awaited his speech; for someone who had never shown shame before in public, he certainly produced a grand effect. He breathed deeply and clenched his fists tightly, more annoyed than anything at the sight of their gaping faces.

"There’s nothing to say," he finally voiced obstinately.

The crowd was deceived as several sighed.

"How about sorry?" Ron spat spitefully.

"Ron, please-" Hermione intervened.

"No, Hermione! He’s a bloody liar!" Ron cried out angrily.

"He is not!" Maria snapped, feeling Ron had gone a tad too far in his convictions.

"Please-" Lupin tried passively.

"Just because he snogged you doesn’t mean you have to defend him!" Ron accused harshly.

"What?" Maria shrieked, offended.

"Ron!" Hermione shouted.

"You don’t even know-" 

"Please-" Lupin tried again.

"-what you’re talking about!" Maria replied.

"He’s the reason Dumbledore’s dead!" Ron shouted.

"Mr. Weasley!" McGonagall called strictly.

"I defend him because he did the right thing!"

"PLEASE!" Lupin said, louder this time.

All eyes turned to him; Maria and Ron’s were fiery.