Calming Draught

Malfoy’s loud swearing had attracted a rather large group of students around him. It wasn’t the first time he got battered up by a girl; however, this time, there were people to acknowledge it. Hogwarts being Hogwarts, within the hour his ‘massacre’ was known to everyone. 

Pinching the bridge of his nose to stop the flow of blood, Malfoy had to admit she hadn’t missed him. The least he could say was that she knew how to hit – either that or her bag was pretty heavy. Whether he liked it or not, this girl was proving to be quite interesting. 

***

Maria entered the Great hall and in less than a second, everybody was calling out to her.

"Is it true you actually hit Malfoy? Congratulations!" Hermione said.

"Um, thanks," she answered awkwardly, feeling very out of place.

"Is he going to miss class?" Harry added.

"I don’t know – well I don’t think so..."

"Was he whimpering?" Ginny inquired.

"Um... no, not really."

"Was there blood?" Ron asked.

"I’m not sure..."

"I can’t believe you ruined his face!" cried Pansy.

"You know, I have to... well... go," she said, ignoring that last comment.

She judged it wise to leave the Great Hall and seek solitude. She didn’t like being the center of this commotion; she didn’t want trouble. Although, she had to say, it was pretty funny... yet, she couldn’t help but feel a bit guilty, again. ‘What is wrong with me? I should be happy I gave that jerk what he deserved! I should be laughing it off with the others! Who cares about Malfoy anyway?’ She hastily pushed the thought out of her head, not wanting to have to answer it. 

***

Malfoy was lying in his hospital bed. When he thought he couldn’t possibly sink lower, he found himself thinking about that mudblood. She kept invading his mind and he didn’t even know her name! He couldn’t let her ruin his Malfoy reputation. He just couldn’t.

Ironically, they were in the same class Monday morning: potions. Malfoy went to see Professor Snape early, as usual. Snape let slip that they would be testing their neighbour’s potion by the end of the period. Malfoy found this very appealing…

As soon as Maria walked into the classroom, Malfoy started stalking her and sat right beside her. 

Maria opened her mouth to tell him to shove off, but fought back the urge and closed it securely shut. ‘What is wrong with him!? I dish him twice and he keeps coming back for more?’ she thought disbelievingly. She threw him an awkward, sidelong look. 

As a response, he flashed her his well-known smirk. Maria rolled her eyes with a sigh. At least he remained silent – that was a relief: she wouldn’t have to endure him bragging or whining relentlessly. Thus, they spent the entire class working on the Calming Draught. She, as usual, did very well - although it was hard concentrating while sitting beside Malfoy. He kept adding these strange ingredients…

"Hum," she eyed his cauldron with a frown, "I don’t think you need Hellebore in this potion Malfoy," she finally stated, concerned.

"Oh I know," he said while his smirk spread across his face.

‘Whatever,’ she thought ‘don’t say I didn’t warn you.’ By the end of the period, Maria’s potion was a creamy peach color – the way it was supposed to be – while Malfoy’s had turned a dark, murky purple. It was only then Professor Snape announced to the class that they would be testing their neighbour’s potion. Maria’s eyes doubled in size while Malfoy was trying hard not to laugh. He poured his mixture in a big cup and handed it to Maria as if he actually thought she was going to drink it. She looked at the cup, then at Malfoy, the cup, Malfoy, the cup… Snape.