Room of Requirement

A month went by, during which every time Maria was near Malfoy, he would disappear or run off. He was clearly avoiding her. His state was getting worst and worst every day. As the second month passed, people - other than Maria - started noticing that Malfoy wasn’t in his right mind. Only then did rumors start spreading. Some rumors stated that he had joined the Dark Lord and was constantly out doing his biding, which is why he was rarely seen. Others said that he was looking dreadful because his father was in Azkaban and he would be next. Some students believed he was simply ill. On the other hand, the Slytherins all kept strangely quiet about it. Whatever the gossips were, Maria was relieved to finally see that she wasn’t the only one thinking Malfoy had a problem. A big problem. 

Indeed, Malfoy was refusing to talk to her, avoiding her and anybody, as a matter of fact, at all costs. ‘If only I could talk to him again…’ Yes, she wanted to find out his secret, but she also wanted to help him; even though it either ended up with him insulting her or her doing all the talking.

During these two months, Maria had been focusing on – what else? – her studies. Sometimes, between Quidditch practices and DA meetings, she occupied herself by helping out Hagrid. As a child, she had always loved animals, and that wasn’t going to change just because these had a few magical properties. Hagrid had once told her about thestrals, and even though she couldn’t see them, she fancied them. She also liked dragons and hippogriffs, but sometimes the half-bird, half-horse’s pride annoyed her and reminded her of someone else’s… She enjoyed working with all kinds of creatures; she was even thinking of pursuing a career in that domain. 

Every day or so, students received the Daily Prophet. For four months straight, its front page was marked with several deaths due to terrible ‘accidents’ or disasters. It was also constantly giving tips on how to keep safe in these dark times. Not that you would know they were dark from inside Hogwarts. After a quick glance at the paper, students would throw them aside carelessly. As long as nobody they knew was hurt, they just didn’t seem to care. On the other side, some students were extremely nervous and scared all the time: usually because their families had something to do with the Order of the Phoenix or the Ministry. Harry Potter had told the DA about the Order, in an attempt to prove to them that they weren’t the only ones willing to fight. However, when asked to name more, he simply didn’t respond.

To sum up, the Dark Lord was back and strong, people were dying, most were hiding which meant nobody was fighting. On top of that, Malfoy had gone berserk. She truly wished that this last detail could remain insignificant, but somewhere she knew that it wasn’t just strange coincidence. If, by the Christmas holidays, Malfoy hadn’t improved, she would talk to Dumbledore about him. She didn’t like sitting around, doing nothing while things were happening. She wanted to be in the action; do her part. Somehow, she thought that by finding out about Malfoy, she could help a bit. Who or how? She did not know.

It was Wednesday evening, and there was a DA meeting scheduled. She made her way to the Room of Requirement with Luna Lovegood. Once they had gotten close enough, they saw silent members crowding the corridor in front of the hidden door. Knowing something wasn’t right, Maria found Hermione amongst the people:

"What’s happening? Is the meeting cancelled?"

"No, no… Somehow… We can’t get in," she said biting her lip.

"But why? We never had trouble before? Do you reckon it’s…?" Maria asked.

"Yes, I think it’s being used."

"By who?"

"That I don’t know…" said Hermione, staring at the wall as though it enable her to see right through it.

"Oh but I think I do! It obviously isn’t a member of the DA; however, he’s clever enough to find the room. Plus, who is it that has been missing not only classes, but also lunches and Quidditch all the time?"

"But what would he be doing in there?"

"Well, every time I see him he’s always wearing this bandana around his left forearm."

"Are you saying he’s a...?"

Hermione had said that with a disgusted yet astounded expression. It was madness to think that a sixteen year old boy could be part of... them. On the other hand, the probabilities were high: his father was one and he was always known to please his dad. If his father had asked him, he just could not have said no to him, and with good reason. His father was a cruel, cold-hearted man who did anything to achieve his means. When he demanded something, it was to be executed without hesitation or questioning, or else, who knows what sick trick he could come up with. His picture alone was enough to send shivers down Maria’s spine; his nose high, those malicious, cold, lifeless eyes and his stern features only represented a parcel of how twisted the man’s mind truly was. You did not want to mess with him – unless you were suicidal.

"He might as well be, for all we know."

"But that’s… that’s just outrageous! He’s sixteen for Merlin’s sake!"

Ron, who had been following their conversation, stopped listening to the two girls, frustrated and unable to keep up with their racing thoughts.

"But what if he didn’t do it on his own accord? What if he was forced to? I mean, just look at his dad!"

She shivered slightly.

"Hmm… Did you tell anybody else about this?" Hermione asked.

"No," Maria answered honestly.

"Good. I suggest you keep it to yourself, for now anyway."

"I know, wouldn’t be too good if he knew we knew. But then again, it isn’t certain."

"Of course…" Hermione said, not seeming at all convinced.

As the hours went by, more and more members were leaving the corridor for nothing was happening. Finally, at one in the morning, the last few remaining people parted. Maria was one of them. She knew she would hate herself when her alarm clock would ring in just a few hours, but the possibility of finally cornering Malfoy was worth it. Still, they all had been deceived.