Dementors

Malfoy tossed his chicken around in his plate restlessly, irritated. Whenever he looked up, all he could see was Maria cuddling into Davies, Maria laughing with Davies, Maria talking to Davies... her beautiful Bron gem like eyes glistening whenever she did so. He clenched his fists, his knuckles turning appallingly white around his fork as he jabbed his chicken. It angered him. And the fact that it angered him angered him even more, because it shouldn’t have, and there was nothing he could do to help it. How could he have ever let himself think that she even bothered about him? He snorted. No, that little mudblood was just like everybody else. He liked it better that way, anyhow, because it made things simpler. She was after all very cute; he stuck to that, and only that, explanation... it was the only rational one. But still, he loathed himself for it, positively disgusted. He looked at his plate but didn’t raise his fork to his mouth. When he would find his appetite again, he didn’t know. A very satisfying feeling came to him whenever he saw her smiling and laughing, causing his features to twist acerbically at his inner torment. He somehow found himself wishing she would giggle at someone else’s jokes: Malfoy was well aware of Davies’ reputation. 

‘She deserves nothing more than the dirt on my shoes, the bloody wretch,’ he corrected himself harshly. ‘She bloody knows about my secret!’ He cursed himself for having underestimated her. He had to know how much she knew, but it would be hard without proving her right. He would just have to lie. 

*** 

"You can let go now, Davies. I am seventeen, I can walk on my own, thanks." 

Maria had to admit Davies’ hand on her waist was getting rather annoying. They were heading back to the common room and she once again, couldn’t wait to put some distance between them. Her wish was fulfilled early enough, and she was able to go to bed at a reasonable hour. The next two weeks passed quickly, except for those lingering moments during which she couldn’t escape Davies’ too-affectionate presence. The next thing she knew, she was about to spend even more time with him, since today was their last Hogsmeade trip before Christmas. This time, she woke up early. She hadn’t finished all of her homework the night before; she would have the whole Christmas vacations to do that. Frankly, Maria couldn’t wait to go home and see her family. But that was going to have to wait until Monday. 

She met Davies in the entrance near the huge doors and he greeted her gallantly. It was so cold outside that they stopped at each shop on their way, huddling inside for a few minutes of warmth before heading back into the cold. Maria thought it was fun, actually, running from one shop to another. A lot of them she had never visited before and it was interesting to see what they sold. Next thing she knew, they had entered Dervish & Banges. She took her time in this one, examining closely everything they had. She didn’t dare question the shopkeeper about Malfoy though; it would have been too risky. They sold a lot of eccentric objects, but nothing that seemed too awkward or extravagant. 

They entered the Three Broomsticks as a small snow storm started to form in the pale winter sky. They decided to stay in for a few butterbeers before heading back outside. She was really starting to enjoy this drink; she loved the feeling of it as it flowed through her body, spreading waves of heat and well-being. However, it was gradually losing its effectiveness as the sky grew darker and the temperature colder. Frost was forming everywhere and Maria had a hunch, a shiver running through her spine. They heard someone scream in the distance and another one yell ‘DEMENTORS!’. Students immediately started pouring out of every shop and running towards the castle. Maria and Davies followed the flow, their hearts racing; meanwhile, he tried holding on to her hand, but it was just impossible through the thick, moving crowd. They lost track of each other and Maria steadily made her way to the side of the road. The stream of students had decreased, but it had nonetheless driven her up to the Shrieking Shack. She looked up at the dark sky and saw horrible, hooded figures circling the small village. Her breathing ragged and shivering from the cold and fear, she reached for her wand, pointed it upwards and yelled ‘EXPECTO PATRONUM!’. A silver lynx erupted from the tip of her wand and pounced towards the Dementors. Her patronus was soon joined by others, and together, they were able to send the devilish creatures away. Her whole body un-tensed at once as she forced air into her lungs to help relax herself.