Commerating the Dead

9-15-14

Dear kids,

I'm driving home right now from Memphis, Tennessee. I was attending my great aunt's funeral. It pains me to know you won't get to meet some of my family because they died... Her name was Aunt Mary; and she was one of the sweetest and most compassionate woman I had met. I know people say that about their families but I truly feel that. Her husband, was my Great Uncle David but honestly the great was just a title. I was closer to my Uncle and his brother who was my grandpa. They truly impacted my life more than anyone knew.

One thing I realized was they stayed with their spouse until their last dying breath and I hope that more people could have that in life. It's truly insane to see how society has changed so much since however long it was.

Now onto my Grandpa, who your father never got to meet and I truly wished he could've. I loved your grandfather, he was my "favorite" I guess you could say. (Even though you shouldn't have a favorite family member). It always sucked that I was one of the youngest grandchildren and never got to spend as much time with him as the others. But during his last few months here on Earth I made up for that and drove down every weekend with my dad to check on him. He is the reason I do what I do. This is why I went into Nursing and am going to work in the oncology ward. Cancer is a deadly thing and takes away the most precious of people as do other diseases and tragedies.

But the one thing I learned from him while I slowly watched him dwindle to nothing it seemed, was that he always had a smile on his face. Yes he became deaf and nearly blind towards the end, but that didn't stop him from still appreciating the fact that he was alive. I don't think I really appreciated that until now. It doesn't matter what happens to you in life, whether it's worse than someone else or not, you should always try to find the positive side. If you can't seem to do that, because there will be days where it seems impossible, just try and smile even if it's forced. At some point it'll become natural and you'll feel better. Remind me to tell you all the stories of my grandparents and great uncles when you're older. They're pretty great. I love you guys with everything in me.

Love,

Mom (18)