When your parents don't undertand you

6-18-2016

Dear kids,

Yes the title says it all. This is a letter about when me and your father may not fully understand you. I'm writing this at this age and not when I was 16 because my mentality has changed drastically. But if I sound like a 16 year old in this letter I apologize.

Anyways, I still struggle with my parents "understanding me". They don't support my writing, and never will. There's millions of reasons why they give me crap about little things and I've come to the conclusion I'll never be able to change them. So you have two options in this situation. You either grin and bear it, so just listen to whatever they say and let it go. Or you tell them you're done and these are your reasons why you don't want to discuss this again...

I promise at least from my standpoint you won't hear me rehash the situation more than once unless I have a legitimate reason too. I swear every time I go to my dads he harps on me about nursing or not doing enough.  And Jesus it sucks, like I'm ready to yell at him and cut ties because I've dealt with this my whole life.

So when you yell at us and stamp your foot saying you don't understand truth is we may not. BUT, there is a chance we have an idea of where you're coming from and why the situation is playing out the way it is. Just because you may think one thing or whatever won't ever change our views or love for you kids. I promise that I will do everything within me to give you a better childhood than what I had and that you won't be put in the middle of situations, because no child should have to do that or grow up earlier than needed.

I also won't guilt-trip you to spend time with us when you're an adult and want to see your friends. You always have a choice in a situation even when it feels like you don't. Trust me, I'm dealing with this daily and am trying to figure that out still. I'm nearly 21 and my dad still doesn't give me a choice on some things.

I love you guys so much and cannot wait to see what things you'll accomplish in life because I know whatever it is it'll be amazing.

Love,
Mom (20 nearly 21)