Chapter 26

I adapted to the vampire life. Well, I tried. It was hard coming up with excuses about my absence to my friends. Thank god it was the summer holidays, otherwise the school would be on my case too. I admired the Cullens very much now. I would forever be in debt for their kindness and compassion.

Esme was very motherly, and made me miss my own mother a little less, Emmet and Jasper were my hunting buddies, I quickly became friends and got in with the banter with them, Carlisle was always caring and Alice was the girl friend I needed at the moment. I didn't speak much to Rosalie and Edward was barely ever home, always sticking with Bella.

My eye color had dulled to a muddy red color over the past week. Within that week, Jared had visited twice. Always the same. I hear that familiar heartbeat so close. He never came inside, standing at the porch, he would ask whatever Cullen had come to the door, how I was doing in a clipped tone. His eyes dead.

I was getting angrier and angrier. It was bad. I wanted to tear him into pieces and kiss him at the same time. He never looked at me after that first visit. Heart beating. A knock. Him again. Was this his way of taunting me?

I heard Emmet get up and answer the door.

"Is she okay?"

"Physically yes, emotionally not so well."

I was taken aback by the venom I heard in Emmet's tone of voice. Sure they were vampire and wolf, but they usually kept their voices neutral due to the treaty and the alliance at the recent battle.

"What's wrong with her emotionally?" Did I detect a hint of emotion in his voice?

"Are you that dense? You chuck her in with strangers and literally abandon her! She went through such a fucked up transition and everyone shuns her out like she feels nothing at all."

Emmet. He stood up for me. When he had barely known me for two weeks. Gratitude washed over me.

"I can't do anything about that," Jared answered in monotone and I heard him leaving. In less than a second I was at the front porch. Red tinted vision, I was furious.

"You could do something Jared. I don't know, maybe stop being a selfish bastard and considering how I feel for once instead of being so caught up in your revulsion for vampires?" I smiled bitterly.

Jared looked simply stunned. Good. It was a change from that emotionless mask. I looked at him hard. He said nothing. My lips trembled slightly, and I turned back around to the house. Hurt taking over pain.

"Kim..wait."

I know that was short but it was quick. I have too many projects to do over midterm, and I'm going out all day tomorrow and all day on Halloween with the gang. So next update may be awhile. Pleaseee voteee and comment! And thanks to Fan_girl_Twilight for voting and commenting in a lot of my chapters :)