Chapter 8 - Keeping Promises

As promised I messaged him several times. Ok, maybe that was an understatement. I kind of went overboard. I stopped at every exit to message. I got out and took a picture. The pictures started simple. A thumbs up, a peace sign, a heart. After a little while I got board. At a rest stop I had someone taking a picture of me in a tree. Well, not like IN the tree hanging from it or anything. I can't climb trees. I attempted to climb it. I looked dumb. I looked so stupid. The person taking the picture didn't understand why I was doing it. I tried to explain it was for my boyfriend. Omg! My boyfriend! I just called Wonho my boyfriend! I mean it's true, but still! So anyways, whew, ok, let's continue! I sent that picture to him. He sent me a video of him laughing. Like he was laughing so hard. He called me a monkey. He then started calling me his monkey. Ugh! Just wait! I'm knew I would up with a good name for him. We continued to send messages back and forth until I got home. I sent a quick message upon arriving home.
'Hey! I just got home. I need to go check on my dog and get things situated. Call me when you can later, or just message.'

After two hours I still hadn't heard from him. I didn't want to seem needy or clingy, so I kept debating about sending another message or not. I started typing, 'What's going on?' Then I erased it. Nope that sounds too casual. 'Hey! Hadn't heard from you, everything ok?' Nope too clingy. I felt like I had to get the message right.
My phone buzzed. Tanya was checking in. He flight was getting ready to leave.
'Soooo, have you talked?'
'No, I told him I got home and to call whenever, but nothing.'
'Have you messaged him again?'
'No. I've typed out a couple messages but they don't feel right '
Charlie popped up in the group chat.
'Hey guys!'
We carried on our conversation for a few minutes. We came to an agreement on what I should send. Tanya said goodbye because her flight was called. Charlie and I said goodbye. She had to get things ready for a quick day at work the next day.
I quickly sent the message to Wonho. 'Hey, just checking in. Hope you are having a safe flight. Just wanted to say that I was thinking of you and hope we can talk soon.'
I hadn't heard back by the time I went to bed. I let it go. I wasn't going to read anything into it. He's busy. They were flying. They were tired. A ton of reasons . I went to bed.

The next morning I woke to the sun shining in the window. My dog laying in the bed at my feet. I stretched and then reached down to pick him up and lay him next to me. The sun gave a warmth to the room without making it hot. The window was open and let the lighter breeze flutter the curtains. The birds chirped away. My dog, a shih tzu named Leo began to snore. He'd have to wake up soon to go for a walk, but for a few more minutes he'll be fine. Reality hit for a second. My phone! Relax! Don't look for messages. Wait! But I need to know. Maybe these last few of days were a dream and I am just now waking up. Giving in a unplug my phone and look. 12 messages plus FanCafe notifications. I decided to look at the FanCafe first. Kihyun, Changkyun, and Shownu posted. Shownu had a picture of some food. They had just arrived and we're hungry. Kihyun had a few poses, he missed Monbebe but looked forward to the concert in the next couple of days. Changkyun had a couple of poses too. But he had a weird message. 'Monbebe, oh Monbebe, wherefore are thou Monbebe.' The last picture had a wink and said 'Monbebe, beautiful Monbebe are you safe?'
I flipped over to Kakao.
'Monkey. I'm sorry. I feel stupid. I forgot to charge my phone after our late night messaging. Check in when you can.
'Hey Monkey!'
'Banana?'
All the messages were variations. Except the last one.
'Y/n. I am really sorry. Please don't be mad.'
Looking at the time stamp I realized I went to bed early. I must have been very tired. I immediately call him.
He picked up before the end of the first ring.
"HEY! Where'd you go!"
"I'm sorry, I didn't realize how early it was. It is my turn to be sorry."
"You are ok though? It wasn't anything bad?"
"No I promise. I was just overly tired."
"You sure?"
"Yes."
"Make sure to get sleep from now on. I don't want to worry that you are hurt or something. I like you too much and I don't like to worry. Don't make me worry."
"Does the same apply to you?"
"No. Why would it?"
"Because I don't want to worry for you either."
"Hmmm. We'll see then."
We talked about anything and everything for another 20 minutes and then ended the call. He called me his Monkey again. I really needed to think of a name for him. I knew a good one would come to me soon. It had to!

I got dressed and took Leo for a walk. I smiled, I would never have fathomed the feelings I would be experiencing right now. Never even a single thought of something like this. I take that back. I had always dreamed of it. From the moment I first knew him, I always wondered what it would be like to talk to him pretty much when ever I wanted. I dreamed it at night. Even more so I daydreamed it. So does that mean that this is a dream? I feel the warmth of the sun, the cool wind. Surely I can't be dreaming. But what if I am? My heart started breaking at just the thought.