Chapter Sixteen - The Hospital

Chapter Sixteen – The Hospital

Ian

Ian couldn't see past the blind panic that had enveloped his senses as Hammond drove away. He let out a series of curses before beating the back of the front seat with his fist. "Stop the jeep! John, stop right NOW!"

John slammed hard on the breaks, throwing Ian forwards and jarring his leg. He barely suffered the pain, turning towards the entrance of the car lot with widened eyes.

A single gunshot rang through the air.

Ian felt his heart stop, the silence that followed almost tangible in its intensity. "Come on Aida. Come on, come on!" He was murmuring under his breath desperately as time seemed to stand still. Hammond's fingers were drumming over the steering wheel in agitation, the old man's body rigid with mortification. Ian wasn't religious in the slightest, yet he began to pray to a God he didn't believe in that Adelaide was alive. Hypocrite or not – Ian could care less.

Too much time had passed and there still wasn't a single sign of her. Ian closed his eyes as he let out a grief-stricken moan, unable to fathom the pain he felt in his chest at the idea she may not be coming back. She was too young, had too much of her life ahead of her to meet such a terrible fate!

Adelaide had willingly sacrificed her life for theirs, and he didn't know if he'd ever be able to forgive himself for it.

John let out a tiny gasp of relief. Ian, upon hearing the noise, opened his eyes and was met with an image he would not soon forget. Adelaide was running as fast as she could towards them, the gun nowhere in sight. She threw the car door open and scrambled inside. Ian looped his arms around her small frame, effectively pulling her onto his lap in the tightest embrace he could muster.

"John, er, Drive!" Ian barked.

John responded instantaneously, tires skidding as the jeep shot forwards along the road towards the visitor centre.

Ian took Adelaide's face in his hands. "You alright?"

"Yeah," She said quietly, gazing at him with sorrow in her clear blue eyes. Ian wanted to kiss her but he refrained, content to merely hold her gaze.

"You er, killed it...didn't you?"

Adelaide didn't need to give him an answer, as the sadness in her expression told Ian all he required. "You did what you had to do, Aida,"

"I know." A single tear fell down her cheek that he wiped away with his thumb, not fully understanding her empathy towards the creature. There would be a better time to think over the events that had transpired over the last couple of days, but right now he had to focus on getting the hell of the island.

Hammond once again hit the breaks hard. Ian stared up at the visitor centre, his eyes catching sight of Alan, Ellie and the kids bursting through the doors. They tumbled down the stairs like mice escaping a trap, the roars of the T-Rex sounding from inside.

How on earth had the Rex managed to get in there?

"Lex! Tim!!" Adelaide cried out, opening her arms as the two children launched themselves into the jeep. She grabbed hold of them both, eyes streaming as they all clung to each other in an emotional reunion.

Ian met Timmy's eyes as he clung to his older cousin. He was covered from head to toe in mud and his hair stuck up over his scalp like sonic the hedgehog. Lex was in a similar state, though the young girl had her face buried in Adelaide's shoulder whilst sobbing ardently.

"Aida?" Tim voiced, leaning back slightly to look at her. "I think after all this; the triceratops is definitely my favourite."

Ian snorted whilst Adelaide gave a laugh type sob. "Yeah Timmy, I think it's my favourite, too."