Chapter Eleven - Revelations

Chapter Eleven – Revelations

Adelaide

John Hammond did not have the words to make Adelaide feel any other way than angry at him. Ian has been right all along – Jurassic Park was an insane endeavour. It had already cost the life of Donald Gennaro, who knew how many others?

Both she and Ian were rushed into the visitor centre as quickly as humanly possible. Robert, once again, lifted Adelaide up into his arms and carried her inside like she weighed nothing. Ellie stayed with Ian for the time being, waiting for Muldoon to return so they could heave the tall man out of the truck together.

Ellie, who had thankfully completed various first aid training courses over the years, was seeing to Adelaide's wounds, first, on Ian's insistence. The three weary people sat on a couple of couches in the rec room. Vending machines stood lifelessly against the wall, no longer humming as the power was still out, and the place was dark save for the battery powered lanterns dotted about the room. What remained of any staff had long since departed the island, so the work areas were eerily still and quiet.

"Aida, you might want to brace yourself, this is going to hurt,"

Adelaide nodded. Ian gestured her to hold his hand and she complied immediately, as Ellie peeled off the blood drenched shirt from her wound. The blood had started to congeal, the material stuck to her skin and making Ellie's job that much harder. Adelaide wanted to die from the pain, squeezing Ian's hand tightly as she gritted her teeth.

She saw both Ellie and Ian look at each other with worrisome expressions. "It's bad, isn't it?"

"No, no it's nothing we can't deal with," Dr Sattler said quickly.

"You don't have to sugar coat it, Ellie, I'm a big girl you now," Adelaide strained, her eyes watering. "Just tell me,"

"Well - the muscle is completely severed. It's become infect, probably from bacteria on the rex's teeth. You're going to need antibiotics and soon," The blond woman opened up a medical kit she'd found in one of the storage rooms. "The best I can do is clean it out and bandage it up, so the muscle can't move."

"Bloody dinosaur." Adelaide grumbled, making Ian chuckle.

"At least uh, it didn't bite your arm clean off,"

"Keep making jokes Ian, it'll be your leg she has to see to next," She said through gritted teeth, as Ellie began cleaning it with antibacterial fluid. The pain was excruciating, and Adelaide vowed never to complain about a silly paper cut, or something of that ilk, ever again.

Finally, Dr Sattler took out a needle and gave Adelaide a shot of morphine. The drug flooded into her body, numbing the pain and allowing her to sink into oblivion, still clutching Ian's hand.

...

"...if her wound isn't treated properly soon, she could get blood poisoning. This is serious, we need to get the power back on and get her into a hospital..." Ellie's low, worried voice floated into her eardrums.

"Do we not have any erm, antibiotics here? Surely, they have some, somewhere right?" Ian spoke next, his voice nearer to hers as he lay on the couch opposite.

"I literally looked everywhere. All I can find is painkillers. I guess the staff had any major medical care off the Island," Dr Sattler was moving, Adelaide could hear her boots shuffling over the floor. "We're rapidly running out of time,"

Adelaide forced her eyes open, blinking slightly against the light. She had been covered over with a thick, slightly rough, blanket, a small wrapped up jacket cushioning her head. In Adelaide's current state, she felt about 70 years old. Every part of her body ached, and she groaned as she sat up to reach a glass of water (she assumed was curtesy of Ellie) on the coffee table.