Chapter Seventeen - A Problem Solved

Chapter Seventeen – A Problem Solved

Costa Rica

Adelaide

"Okay Adelaide, can you wiggle your hand for me?"

Adelaide screwed up her features in concentration. The very tips of her fingers began to wobble, followed by her fingers. Try as she might, however, the movement in her hand and arm was still nought.

Doctor Herrera smiled warmly, crow's feet crinkling beneath his eyes as he ticked something on his chart. "Don't worry too much, it's still early days,"

"Well how long will it take? It's been nearly a week since the surgery," Adelaide tried to curb her rude tone, but she couldn't help it. Not being able to pertain any motion in her arm, upon waking, had been almost as scary as facing the T-Rex. Though the infection had mostly cleared, the damage done to her nerves by the rex's teeth may have well been irreversible.

"Your arm needs to heal on its own now. It is just going to take time and some physiotherapy. I must warn you, though, that there are no guarantees you will ever have full function of your arm again," He placed his arm on her shoulder in comfort. "But we have to stay positive,"

"Yeah thanks doc." Nick's sarcastic drawl sounded from the armchair on her left side. The doctor merely smiled tightly, clearing his throat as he left the room. "What a stupid thing to say."

"He's just being realistic, Nick. I can't get my hopes up," Adelaide grumbled. She had to admit, she had not been a very happy camper since waking two days ago. According to the doctors, she'd been clinically dead for three minutes before they revived her. They were impressed she'd managed to keep herself up and about after the 'animal' attack, as they called it, because her injuries were so severe.

"Realistic my ass. Your arm is gonna be fine," Nick told her confidently. "You're one of the toughest chicks I know,"

"Thanks," Adelaide chuckled, glad he was with her. "Have you erm, heard anything from Dereck?"

"What, your so called boyfriend? Forget him, Aida. He can't even be bothered to come out here,"

"He doesn't have much money Nick! It's not like this is a straight forward situation, either, I mean, there have been papz outside the hospital for days now. I can't blame him if he wants to keep a low profile,"

"The guy is your boyfriend. He should be jumpin' hoops for you, not giving you all the excuses in the world not get on a flight," Nick looked visibly angry. "I mean, does he love you, or not?"

Adelaide immediately cringed at the word 'love'. She and Dereck had never really broached the subject of whether they loved one another. At one time, maybe Adelaide had loved Dereck, but not anymore. She knew deep down that her heart belonged to someone else now.

"I don't love him, Nick. I...just don't anymore." She admitted. "I am the one who put him off coming here."

"Oh. Well...ok then," The man shrugged nonchalantly, casting her a lopsided grin. "I sorta guessed that, I mean...the first name you said when you came round was 'Ian' so..."

She flushed scarlet, feeling decidedly embarrassed that her unconscious brain had managed to conjure up Ian. "That...is just because he was the last person I saw before I fell unconscious."

"Sure, sure. And I'm the bloody pope." Nick had clearly spent too long hanging out with Adelaide, as he'd already picked up on her language. "You clearly need to go talk to this guy,"

"I don't need to do squat." Adelaide responded childishly, sticking out her bottom lip in a pout. Nick outright laughed at her, giving the centre of her forehead a poke with his finger.