Chapter Nine - The Tyrannosaurus Rex

Warning: This chapter features gore and sexual references.

Chapter Nine – The Tyrannosaurus Rex

Ian

"She's er...a little young for you, isn't she?" Dr Grant asked as both men watched Adelaide run to the car up front. Ian clicked his tongue, wishing he'd brought along another flask with him as she disappeared with a swish of long, dark hair.

"Ten years younger, to be, erm, exact."

"Oh." Alan's tone was extremely judgmental. In fact, Ian could practically feel the judgment radiating from the palaeontologist. He wondered if the older man had ever actually lived.

"You and Doctor uh, Sattler, are a thing, right?"

Alan bristled slightly at his mentioning the blond woman. "Yeah, we are,"

"She's younger than you, right?"

"Well, yeah, but that's different,"

"How?" Ian turned to the man, eyebrows raised so high they had probably disappeared into his hairline.

"Adelaide is in her twenties, Malcolm, she's practically a kid. Ellie is older, she's...mature, and I'm serious about her," Dr Grant took a long gulp out of his water cannister, blue eyes far away for a moment as thought about said Doctor.

Ian felt the need to tell him that Aida was in fact, not a kid, but the words would only come out sounding wrong. He merely tutted instead. "You think I'm not serious about Aida?"

"Come on Ian, we may not know each other well, but I can distinguish a player when I see one. You were flirting ridiculously with Ellie before you realised me and her were an item, and now you expect me to believe you're serious about the only other female in our company right now?"

Ian felt slightly insulted yet also complimented by the Doctor's words. Of course, Ian knew he was a massive flirt. In high school, he'd been the gangly, unattractive smart kid who'd never even talked to a woman, let alone done anything else with one. As soon as puberty was done with him, and he'd finally grown into his limbs (this was at least year into college) everything changed.

Suddenly, women found him attractive, and he in turn learned how to make them want him.

Adelaide, though younger than him, was different. There was just something about her that stuck, something behind her blue eyes that made him want to find out every little detail about her. She was too clever to be charmed so easily by him – and this made her a challenge.

"I would never hurt her. If that's what you are implying," Ian finally spoke, his eyes trained on Adelaide's figure moving around in the car ahead. "Besides, it erm, was only a moment. Nothing to get worked up – worked up about,"

"Aida is a woman, they don't see moments as things to 'not get worked up about', my friend," Alan Grant, quite possibly the most wholesome and moral grounded man Ian had ever met, was now trying to give out 'woman advice'? He had to laugh, despite the extremely serious look on Grant's face.

"Oh, come on, uh, you think I don't know that? Do you know how many times I've been married?"

"I don't think I want to know,"

"Anything at all can and does happen,"

"Just remember, we're on an Island in the middle of nowhere, with her Grandfather, who has access to an entire arsenal of guns."

Ian hadn't thought of that. He sobered up quickly, because in all honestly, even though Hammond seemed like a charming old man, Ian had no problem imagining him wielding a gun in defence of his Granddaughter.