Chapter Two - Are They Dinosaurs?

Chapter Two: Are they dinosaurs!?

Adelaide

Adelaide was never speechless.

Much like her Granddad, she could talk for England and usually never stopped until someone told her to shut up. This, however, took the biscuit.

Muldoon and Hammond were both chuckling to themselves at her reactions – muttering about how they 'should have brought a camera', whilst her mouth remained open to catch flies as she gazed at the creatures before her.

"So...when you said 'attractions' or 'assets' you meant...you meant dinosaurs?" Adelaide clutched the wooden fencing of the paddock, where at least six Triceratops grazed on the lush foliage. The beasts were covered in thick, grey skin much like a rhinoceros, with two long, sharp horn protruding from their foreheads. Behind these defences lay a frill, which reminded Adelaide of the neck collars they used to wear in Tudor times from the pictures in her history books.

"Yes, aren't they marvellous?" Hammond gushed, his Scottish accent thickening the more animated he became. The dinosaurs emitted occasional groaning noises, the sound deep enough to vibrate through her entire body.

"This is...unbelievable."

"Do you know much about dinosaurs?" Muldoon asked her as he approached the fence, hat spinning in his hand absentmindedly.

"Nothing at all," She admitted, laughing slightly, sky-blue eyes as wide as saucers. "I mean, everyone knows the basics I guess...but..." Adelaide gestured towards the dinosaurs to finish her sentence. "I'm guessing your knowledge is much better than mine,"

Robert nodded slightly, face fix in concentration. The animals were surrounded by two fences: the one she and Muldoon currently leant against, and another, much larger electrified fence. "I am familiar. Know more about the carnivores though, they are my focus here. They may be amazing to look at, but these are real, living, breathing beings that are extremely dangerous. The herbivores are...manageable...but the others..." He tailed off, seemingly catching himself before he said too much.

"I've seen what a rhinoceros can do to a fully-grown man. I have no qualms in showing these animals the respect they deserve," Adelaide caught sight of her Grandfather talking rather energetically with another member of staff. She turned her gaze back to the triceratops, one of the large creatures giving another one a nudge in the behind. The afflicted animal gave an annoyed grunt and the pair started to squabble – displaying typical herd type behaviour.

"You seem to have your head screwed onto your shoulders, that's good. We need more like you around here," Muldoon said.

"It is screwed on, right? I mean, I kind of still can't believe what I'm seeing," She responded, earning a chuckle from the man beside her.

"Unfortunately, you are perfectly sane,"

"Adelaide! Come this way my dear, we have a few infants I think you would love to see!" Hammond cried, beckoning her over with his hands. He resembled a school boy who'd just been given a bathroom pass – completely besides himself with excitement.

It was late evening by the time Adelaide finally threw her pyjamas on, letting the cold breeze from the air conditioning drift over her body. The view from her room was spectacular: the cliffs ascended upwards, meandering awat from the base slightly to reveal the jagged, rough rocks of the face. The tempestuous, unruly sea crashed into the shore in wild, untameable waves – mother nature showing off her true power.

She let out a sigh, pulling her thick brunette curls from the tight ponytail and feeling her scalp instantly relax. Dark hair, blue eyes, pale skin – she got this from her father's side, who were of Irish descent. It often meant she burnt more than anything else in hot countries, so factor 50 travelled with her wherever she went. Due to years of working outdoors, walking, hiking and promptly throwing up when foreign cuisine turned her stomach, she was physically fit and lean.