Chapter 15

August 2nd
Joanna,

"Let's go." I told Camille. "I don't want to." She told me. Well, she has to. She doesn't have much choice. "I'm going to be late to pick her up if we don't get going." I told her.

"I don't want to hang out with you and Veronica all day." She mentioned. "I'll drop you off with mom." I said knowing that she'll deny. "I'm good." She decided.

We drove to the airport. Camille and I went inside. I looked at the time. Veronica should be here any time now.

"Can I please have a dollar?" Camille asked. I gave her one and she went to the vending machine.

I spotted Veronica coming down the escalators. I went to her. "Hi." I said. She greeted me back and then we hugged. She hasn't been in the U.S. for about 7 years.

"Camille, you're grown now." Veronica noticed. Camille nodded. They hugged. We went and got her bags and then we headed to her cousins place since that's where she'll be staying.

When we got there we got the key from under the mat since her cousin is at work. I helped her unpack.

"How was your trip?" I asked. "It was good. My mom didn't want me to leave but I need a good education and money to help my family." She mentioned.

"Do you have a major yet?" I asked. "I'm thinking of going to law school." She thought. "That's not bad." I said. If she can do it then that's good.

We finished unpacking, then we went out to eat. After we ate, we went to the mall. Veronica wants to buy some clothes.

I gave Camille thirty dollars to go buy whatever she wants. Camille went her own way.

We went to Forever 21. Veronica and I looked around. I found some shirts that I like but I'm not spending twenty five dollars on a shirt.

I found some jeans my size. "I'm going to try this on." I told Veronica. I went to the dressing room and tried them on.

One fitted and the other was tight. I put the tight one on the rack. "Did you find anything?" I asked Veronica. "Yeah, I did." She showed me a black crop top and black leggings.

"Those will make a good outfit with some sandals." I smiled. "I thought so too." She said. I saw Lanre and a younger girl come in. I'm assuming she's his sister.

They came up to us. "Hi Joanna and Veronica. This is my sister Jane." Lanre said. Jane waved.

"Hi." We said dryly. He seems tense. "So Veronica, you're threatening my family now?" He asked. Veronica looks surprised.

"What are you talking about?" She asked. "I got a note that's threatening and I asked Laura about it and she says it's from you." He mentioned.

There's no way she sent that note. "You really believed her. I just got back today and there's no way I sent a note all the way from Nija." She established.

"Who would?" He wondered. "I think Laura did she was always trouble." She mentioned.

He nodded. "Joanna, can you please hear me out?" He questioned. "No. I'm good." I denied. He sighed.

"Please hear what I have to say." He begged. "Go." Veronica said. "Fine but for five minutes." I gave up. I gave Veronica the jeans I'll buy. Lanre told his sister that he'll be back and we left the store.

"Talk." I said. "Laura is my ex and I met up with her because of the note. There's nothing going on between us." He explained. I feel so stupid. I was assuming stuff that wasn't true.

"Damn. I'm sorry. It just seemed like y'all had something going on." I apologized. "It's cool. Now let me take you on a date. How about Saturday?" He questioned. "I've gotta work." I informed him.

"When are you free?" He asked. "Next week Tuesday." I answered. "That works. Next week Tuesday four pm." He said. I smiled.

He leaned in and kissed me. I kissed back. "Joanna." Someone called me. I turned around and there was Camille.

"Can we go now?" She asked. "We will soon. Camille meet Lanre my..." I don't know what to call him because we just kissed. That means more than a friend.

"friend and Lanre meet Camille my sister." I spoke. "Hi, Camille." He said. She ignored him and went on her phone. Lanre gave me a weird look. "She's always like that." I justified.

Veronica is on the right. Jane is on the left.