Chapter 8

June 15th
Joanna,

I haven't spoken to Lanre since I told him that we need to tell Malik what was going on. Malik told me that Lanre told him the truth.

I was supposed to tutor him for the final exam but he has been ignoring me. I hope he did good on it though. School is over for the summer so I haven't seen him since school closed.

"You're thinking about him again." Sandra realized. "I'm not." I objected. "You have feelings for him, don't you?" She asks. Am I falling for Lanre?

"What do I do? He won't even text me or call me back." I said frustrated. "Have you seen any of his friends recently?" She inquired.

I shook my head. What did I do? "I'll ask Daniel about him." She mentioned. I furrowed my eyebrows. "How?" I asked. I think Daniel is off campus for the summer.

"I have his number." She told me. "Gist me." I went over to her bed and sat by her. She laughed. "We've been talking and I think I like him." She mentioned.

"When did this start?" I wondered. "Like two weeks ago." She smiled. "That's great." I gushed. She'll finally have some one. No more singleness for her.

Her phone started ringing. "It's him." She mouthed. I went back to my bed and I opened up my laptop. I checked my emails.

I finally got a job which means I won't be bored all summer. Sandra was able to get a second job. Different places though.

Sandra finished her call. "Daniel said he's off campus but he doesn't know where." She told me. I picked up my phone. I sent him another text.
**************************************
Lanre,

"You've been way too quiet lately. What's going on?" Jane asked. "I'm just worried about my results." I lied. I took a STD test and I'm not worried about the results at all.

"You just told mom-" I cut her off. "Well, I lied." I said. Jane and I call our aunt mom since she's who has been raising us. She looked at me like she was searching for something. She took my phone from the table and she unlocked it.

"How did you-" "I have my ways." She smirked. "Give it back." I said. I tried to reach for it but she ran out the room.

"Jane." I yelled. She came back and gave me my phone. "So you have this girl texting you and she cares about you a lot. Why aren't you replying?" She asked me.

"Doesn't your 17 year old self have anything better to do?" I wondered. "No I don't. So answer my question." She demanded.

"She doesn't like me in that way so I stopped talking to her." I said. "She seems to like you in that way now since she's worried about you." She mentioned.

Joanna doesn't. She's probably just trying to be a good friend. "Text her." Jane said. "I'm not going to. I'm not her type." I thought of what Malik said.

"You'll never know if you don't text her back." She said. I should just continue to distance myself from her. Us being something more than friends isn't going to happen.