Chapter 18 - Alone again

Dianne's POV:
"Shit! Shit! Joe, we fell asleep!" I shook him frantically and stood up, sending empty bottles clattering to the floor in the process.
"Huh? What's the time?" Joe laid there, still half asleep.
"It's half 10! Our parents don't know where we are and we're late for school."
"Di, stop panicking. Mum said we could take the day off."
"But what about my parents? Imagine what happened when they got in and I wasn't there!"
"Sorry, of course. Let's go." He yawned and stood up, cracking his back in the process. I suppose roundabouts don't make the most comfortable beds. "So, how are you feeling?" Joe pushed open the gate  and looked back at me cautiously.
"Better. I don't feel as panicked anymore. But I meant what I said Joe, I need to find Andy and bring him back home." I sighed and looked up at him hopefully. I didn't really know what I was asking - my brother could be anywhere, I just need to know why he's so intent on leaving and forgetting us. I'm not ready to actually identify my dead brother.
"Well, if it's what you want, Di, I'll do anything to help you." He smiled reassuringly at me, initiating the butterflies whirring around inside me. I'd never felt this close to anyone before and that scared me.

Joe's POV:
We were almost back to our houses, when Dianne's phone rang - her parents.
"Shit! They know I didn't come home!"
"Hey, don't panic. I'll answer, say you fell asleep at mine." I took a deep breath and pressed answer on her phone. "Hello."
"Joseph?"
"Hi Rina, it's me."
"Where's Dianne?"
"She's asleep at mine, I hope that's okay. I'll promise I'll send her back in a minute!" I chuckled lightly, hoping it could reduce the yelling I was about to receive.
"Oh no, that's fine. We had to move up the work trip, so we got a flight out last night. I've sent all the bills and rent amount to Dot so she can manage everything. Has she got a job yet, Joseph?"
"Erm..."
"It doesn't matter, she'll find one soon enough. Anyway, I'm glad you're both okay. Tell her I love her and we'll be back next month. Goodbye!" Rina hung up and I saw Dianne's face drop.
"She didn't even check up on me." She said it so quietly, it was barely a whisper.
"Di, that's not true. She cares, you know she does." I held Dianne close to me, her head resting on my shoulder.
"They've ran away again. They're just distracting themselves with the excuse that working is what's best for our family. It's not, Joe. We need to find my brother, for all we know he could really be dead!" She looked up at me, her eyes bloodshot and yesterday's mascara still smudged around her eyes. I didn't know what to say to her, my life never got this serious - it had always been a never ending circle of parties, popularity and girls.
"Dianne, your brother knows how to look after himself. Okay, maybe he doesn't have the best taste in tattoos and motorbikes, but I know he's probably sitting in a artisan coffee shop somewhere still entering dance competitions." She laughed quietly, the happiness in her eyes slowly returning. "You can stay at mine today, if you want. We can finish some coursework and watch Netflix, order Chinese, whatever you want."
"Thank you, Joe." I took her hand and I lead her up the path to our door, my mum opening it almost immediately.
"Mum? I thought you were working today?"
"I am, I just wanted to make sure you both got home safe. Zoe should be in at about 5 and it's most likely a late one for me tonight. I've called the school already, so don't worry about that, there's money on the side and there's milk in the fridge."
"Okay mum, you can leave now!" Dianne grinned at her, I suppose my mum brought her up just as much as me.
"Fine." She gave us both a peck on the cheek. "Oh and you make an adorable couple!"
"Mum!" We both blushed and laughed, as we shuffled inside the house.

A/N - Helloooooo!! I'm back after a million years! Thank you all so much for the continued support on this story, it really does make my day. Anyway, there are more chapters in the works, so don't worry, I'm not going anywhere this time! As usual, criticism and ideas are always welcome!