Chapter 16 - She's a keeper.

Joe's POV:
We sat in the cab on the way back to mine in silence. Mark and Rina had had to stay at the hospital to fill out some paperwork, but we could leave. Dianne was unreadable - she looked emotionless and her silence worried me even more.
"Di?" I whispered, trying to find her hand in the darkness.
"What?" She replied bluntly, almost as if she didn't want to talk to me.
"What's wrong?"
"Well, let me see. Just told my brother was dead only to find out his not, so yeah, nothing's wrong. I'm totally fine." She snapped at me and I didn't know how to react.
"I've called everyone so they know what's gone on..."
"Gee, thanks. What a help you've been." Sarcasm was Dianne's coping mechanism. I should know, I've only dealt with it for ten years.
"Do you want to come back to mine? I don't like the thought of you being alone tonight." The cab jolted to a stop and I pushed some money into the driver's hand.
"No. I just want to be alone." And before I could even say goodbye, Dianne had disappeared down the street.
"Di! Wait!" I tried going after her, but it was pointless - she obviously didn't want me around. I unlocked the door to find my mum, sitting anxiously in the living room. I learnt against the door, heaving a sigh before I spoke to her.
"Joe? Joseph? Are you okay?" She ran to me and wrapped me in a suffocating hug.
"I'm fine, mum. I'm fine." I threw my keys down on the table and slumped down on the sofa.
"Joe. What's happened?" My mum leant down in front of me, grasping my hands.
"I told you. They thought they found Andy, dead, but it wasn't him. It just scared us, mum. I'm fine. Everyone is fine. I've spoke to dad and Zoe, they know what's happened. It was just scary, okay?"
"I'm so glad you're okay. It makes you think about how lucky you are. Andy was such a good kid and now look, they think he could turn up dead at any given moment."
"He won't mum, he's okay. He just does this sometimes."
"I know. I'll make you a coffee and I suppose neither of you are going in tomorrow?" I shook my head, relieved, as mum pottered off into the kitchen. She turned the kettle on, only to pop her head around the door again. "So. What's going on with you and Dianne?" She grinned at me.
"Nothing, mum. Still just friends, more acquaintances, really."
"Really? From what your father told me, she was hanging out with you and your friends? The only girl you let into your little posse was Sophia!"
"Hey! Why does everyone call us that?" I laughed at my mum, hoping to redirect the conversation.
"No getting out of this one, Joseph Sugg. What's going on between you two?" I sighed, knowing I wasn't escaping this.
"Well, there was this rumour thing with Caspar and we started seeing each other a bit more, because of all of the stupid drama. Then, I sort of realised she's pretty cool and we decided we'd see how things go for a bit. It's new and we're still just friends really, but there's something there I think." I looked down, my mum smiling fondly at me. "What's that look for?"
"Nothing, Joe. I'm just happy you've found someone who makes you happy again. Oh, and  your dad owes me £50."
"Hm. Wait, why?" I sat up, confused.
"Oh well, when we moved in, we had a little bet." She placed my coffee down on the table and grinned at me again. "I said that I thought you and Di would end up together and he thought Zoe and Andy would. I won."
"Ugh, how do you even know this stuff? Like, I didn't even like Dianne up until the age of about 15!"
"I don't know. Mother's instinct? I'll never forget the day we moved in. Di came down in that flouncy little summer dress, with her teddy and you were so grumpy with everyone. You just stood there and stared at her angrily the whole time - no wonder you're together now!"
"I'd desperately like to forget that day. She was so annoying! And you and dad didn't stop arguing." I mumbled, knowing it was the wrong thing to say, but it was true. Mum smiled sadly.
"The divorce was the right thing, you know. I understand you'll never believe that, but it was. You can't always be afraid that your relationship will turn out like us."
"What?"
"Sophia. You broke up with her after the divorce. I know you're scared that everything will end like our marriage, but it won't. Not with the right person." I nodded. "Don't let Dianne go, this time. She's a keeper." Mum stood up and placed a hand on my shoulder.
"I know, mum. I know."