Chapter 6: Falling Easily

A/N: I hope you enjoy. Early update because I won't be able to upload on Wednesday.

Alexis's Pov:

Sleep has always been an espace. From sadness, hunger pains, life in general. Lately, it’s been different somehow. Usually, I would dream about my anime crushes or making someone up to make me feel less alone. This time the star of my dreams has been Baltazar, an Angel.

I didn’t think I was capable of coming up with someone like him. He makes me feel listened to and understood in a way, I didn’t know I needed. Sadly, since I had that dream about Connor and Baltazar, I haven’t seen Baltazar at all.

As the days passed, I put it off as reality pushing fantasy aside. I couldn’t avoid seeing Connor since he came in whenever I had a shift. Not that I really wanted to, I felt some kind of connection towards him since the first time we met.

I tried to ignore it, yet I find myself falling into conversation and teasing with him easily. Even now, I find myself sneaking glances at Connor. While he walks up to the counter with a smirk on his face. I quickly look away and stare at the cash register, already inputting the order.

I didn't want to be staring at him like some fish that is flopping around in desperate need for water. Even now, I can describe his face without having to look at him. Thanks to all the times I've just stared at his face.

He has skin a deep umber with golden brown undertone. His skin remind me of the petals of a black forest calla lilies. A square shaped face with a prominent jawline that is covered in neatly trimmed dark hair. That dark hair matched the cut short wavy hair on his head. A wide nose that fit perfectly between his slightly sunken dark brown eyes.

They somehow reminded me of coal, even though it's unheard of for people to have black colored eyes. His thick lips pulling in a smirk as he caught me staring. Just thinking about his face made me want to see him again. I indulged myself more easily than I thought.

I looked up at his dark brown eyes, that almost look black sometimes. I tilt my head slightly as I asked, “Doesn't it get repetitive getting the same black coffee all the time?”

He smiled at me in a way that made me feel like he was calling me silly in his head. I scowled at him lightly which quickly changed when I heard his answer to my question, “No, it means I get to see your face everyday.”

My eyes widened and my lips parted in slight shock. I lowered my head to hide my face from him. My heart beat went up a little more than normal. I took a slow breath. I need to relax, he probably didn’t mean it the way I took it.

How could he? What is a lamp compared to a star in the sky? Nothing. That is the difference between him and I. Even so, I couldn't help but fall in the same route with him.

I scowled at the cash register for a moment. I relaxed my expression and let out a scoff as I responded in a teasing tone, “Ok, that really didn't answer my question.”

“Do you have any recommendations, Doll?”, His voice sounded closer than normal.

The sound spreading through my chest and making my heart beat faster once again. I pulled back and looked at him with a slight scowl again. I bit my lower lip as a warmth spread through my body. Why does he have to have this effect on me? Our skin wasn't even touching yet. It still felt like a dream from that first day when our hands touched.