005 Panic Room | Keith Powers

I cleaned the kitchen table off and put the games boards away. Once everything was clean I dragged myself to my room. I then pulled my history textbook from my closet and started my homework.

Mom dropped me off at school right as the first bell rung. I kissed her goodbye and walked economics. Although it was hard this was one of my favorite classes, ever.

With that being said, today was weird, I couldn't focus. I kept thinking about lastnight. He kept checking his watch like he wanted to leave or the "session" was taking too long. That's why I asked him to leave. I'm not going to be anyone's burden, even for a second. Especially if I can help it.
If he didn't want to be there why'd he come? That is the same reason a didn't call.

Mrs. Sho tapped my shoulder lightly bringing me back to reality. The bell had rung and I was still in my seat.

I smiled and hurried out of the class.

As I continued to think I had session with him today. I quickly shot mom a text telling her to cancel because Cas and I had plans. Which was a lie but it's better than going to therapy.

Early in lunch mom texted me back and said it was done. I thanked her before returning to the conversation Cas, Jay, I were having. Cas was truly just babbling and we were listening while agreeing with her every couple minutes.

After lunch we said our goodbyes then went separate ways. I was on the way to counseling.

"Yes, I'm here to see Sky White."

I looked up at the mention of my name. The front desk woman was giving Mr. Powers a visitor sticker.

"Sky? Just the person I was looking for. A young man is here to see you."

I nodded and stood in the doorway of the counselor's office until he saw me. He walked over to me and smiled. I waved then took a seat. He occupied the one across from me which was the counselor's seat.
When she returned he asked her for a few minutes of privacy. Once she left he began.

"Hello Sky. How are doing today?"

I spoke with time in between each line. I had to warm up to him again.

" I'm fine."
"Let's talk about yesterday night."
"What about it?"

He tilted his head slightly at me then returned it to its normal position.

"You had somewhere to be or you were in a rush to leave. One of the two."
"Why do you say that?"
"You checked your watch 3 times. So I helped get to where you had to be."
"I had nowhere to be and if I wanted to leave I would've."

He was being very unprofessional and almost possessive. Overprotective in a way.

"I apologize. You canceled your session today. Why?"
"... I have plans."

He laughed and shook his head.
"I study people for a living you know? You didn't have to lie. I know you didn't want to come because you thought it would awkward."
"Then why'd you ask?"
"I didn't think that you'd lie. So you're going to stay here after school for two hours?"

I nodded and he laughed.
"Let's go somewhere."
"What?" I laughed until seeing he was serious
"The pier? It should be fun. Please you'll be in a relaxing environment with many people so you can work on speaking to people. Something as small as a hi."
"Are we dressed for the pier?"
"Is that the deal breaker?"
"In a way. Yes."
"We'll stop and get some. Can I check you out early?"

I was 18 so the school wouldn't call my mom anymore. They call my phone. So I nodded and walked out with him.