Trying his best not to lose his temper and scare Lucy he quietly yet calmly replies

“I’m not interested in any of those girls at school or any other girl for that matter. I am only interested in getting to know you Lucy,” Feeling his temper rise he takes a large breath before continuing “As for not being safe around you. Trust me when I say you have nothing to fear when it comes to my safety in fact you have nothing to fear when it comes to yours. I promise now that I am around you have nothing and no one to be afraid of. Now that we have settled that would you please allow me to take you to school?”

Lucy nibbles her bottom lip while she thinks over what he just said to her she decides to take a chance and agrees to him taking her to school.

She quickly texts her friends explaining that she doesn’t need a ride and why and that she will see them at school.

After they got in Hayden,’s car and started driving towards school. The fear of showing her face in school sets in again. Her hearts starts to beat rapidly and being able to breath became a struggle. If I’m lucky, I will have a heart attack and not have to go to school. Lucy thought to herself.

“I can’t do it” She suddenly says out loud. “I can’t go back there and face them and face him I just can’t” Tears start streaming down her face.

Seeing her distress Hayden pulls the car over to the side of the road, takes his seat belt off, he then turns towards her grabbing both her hands in his, and strokes them gently with his thumb.

“SHH Its OK. Everything is going to be all right Lucy. You're safe now. You have nothing to fear I am here.” He says in a soothing voice.

“You don’t understand,” she whispered between sobs

“Trust me I understand a lot more then you think,” He says now stroking her hair to comfort her.

“I know that guy tried to rape you in the woods, then he told everyone you lied about it turning the school against you. I’m sure if you told everyone your side of the story and that you didn’t lie that most of them would believe you.

Not sure if she has lost her mind or if the stress of it, all has finally gotten too much but she starts to laugh at him.

“Why didn’t I think of that in the first place!” she shouts at him “Oh I know why probably because max came to my house and after he finished ramming my head into the door he threatened my life if I don’t make people believe I lied”

“HE WHAT!” Hayden screamed unable to control the rage building up in his body at the thought of her being abused again.

“Oh God shit his going to kill me I shouldn’t of said that. Please forget what you heard. I didn’t mean it I was just emotional none of it was true.” Unable to believe she could be so stupid to say all that to someone she hardly knows she starts to panicky more at the thought of what Max will do to her when he finds out. “Stupid! I’m so stupid.” Turning to face a fuming Hayden, she pauses looking at his eyes and notices his entire eyes are black. She slowly reaches over and touches his arm. He closes his eyes and takes two big breaths, which seem to help calm him down when he opens his eyes they are back to normal so Lucy continues.

“I know we don’t know each other very well. But I am begging you please don’t tell anyone what I just said. Please Hayden promise me you won’t tell anyone.”

“It’s Ok Lucy. You can trust me. I’m going to take care of you. Max won’t find out you told. I promise”

Feeling as though the weight of the world has been lifted off her shoulders. Lucy slouches in her seat in relief. Unsure why she believed him but she did.