Getting the hang of it

After a messy dinner – even while being fed, Métis still managed to get even more tomato sauce all over her face and hands – Kagemura cleaned her off with a damp cloth and left the dishes to be picked up by the servants. He carried Métis back into the living room and set her down on the couch, turning the television to a popular kids movie that had only recently been released to his knowledge. At first, Métis pouted, clearly not pleased at being put down, but within fifteen minutes she was deeply absorbed in the movie.

Kagemura hid a smile and settled in the chair opposite, Métis was getting a little more comfortable now that she'd had a nap beforehand and been fed. She was lying on her stomach, twisting this way and that, and watching the television with heavily lidded eyes. Her thumb was tucked into her mouth, and cheeks moved occasionally when she gathered enough awareness to give a lazy suck.

Slowly, so as not to startle her, Kagemura conjured up a scroll that he had previously been working on and continued to work. By the time he had detailed descriptions for his next big passion project, the movie was ending. He moved to change it automatically to different programming, but Métis's eyes were mostly closed. She was clinging to consciousness by a thin thread out of sheer stubbornness. Kagemura dismissed his work in a cloud of smoke, rising to his feet. Métis didn't move, and Kagemura left her there while he went into the kitchen turning to the cupboards and took out one of the bottles he'd sterilized earlier.

A little help from a servant had introduced him to the concept of meal replacement drinks, for days when the young miss just didn't seem to want to eat. An excellent idea for a later date. Tonight, though, Kagemura went for warm milk flavored with honey and a little bit of cinnamon. He shook the bottle idly as he went back into the living room, doing his best to conceal his excitement. This was one part he had been looking forward to.

Métis gazed up at him with bleary eyes when Kagemura paused in front of the couch. "Dadda?" she mumbled around his thumb.

"Hello little one," Kagemura said softly, tucking the bottle under his arm so that he could lean down and pick Métis up. The change in position warranted a whine, though it didn't stop her from curling into him. Kagemura rubbed a reassuring hand down her back and moved back to the chair, sitting down and positioning simmone in a way so that she was sitting sideways, back braced against his's arm.

He gently pulled the thumb out of her mouth and replaced it with the nipple of the bottle. Métis's eyebrows came together in a look of confusion at first, and Kagemura squeezed the sides of the bottle to let a little milk out. She swallowed automatically, and then – even though she tensed a little and reached up to hold the bottle herself - she sucked and swallowed again. It seemed to take her a little while to get the hang of sucking and swallowing in a rhythm. She was messy at first, milk spilling down her chin when sucking too hard, and Kagemura carefully wiped it away with the towel he'd thought to sling over his shoulder.

Her grip on the bottle loosened until her hands slipped back into her lap, and Kagemura felt comfortable enough to lower her back a little until she was more or less supported entirely by the arm against her back. He lifted the bottle a little higher to help compensate, letting gravity do its job.

This felt real in a way that he hadn't anticipated. Métis was so warm and small, curled comfortably in the crook of his arm. The only sound in the room, aside from their breathing and the quiet sound of the television, was the snuffling and slurping noises she made as she drank. It was a new sound, one that Kagemura would only associate with this moment when he knew with 100% certainty that this was the best decision he had ever made.

Métis drank about 3/4s of the bottle before he let go of the nipple, pushing it away indicating that didn't want anymore. Setting the bottle aside and lifting her up against his shoulder the way he'd seen other members within his clan do a handful of times when they volunteered to babysit for him. Gently, he patted Métis on the back.

"You're being such a good baby, Hime" Kagemura whispered, turning his head so that the words would go straight into her ear. "Otōsan's really proud of you. I feared that you would be displeased with how I cared for you compared to the others. but look at you." He ceased patting for a second to rub slow circles onto her back.

There was a quiet burp then, accompanied by a small shudder, and Métis's nails dug into his shoulders briefly. Kagemura felt the renewed relaxation of his body and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. "Proud of you," he repeated because those were words she needed to hear directly from him. "Otōsan's going to get you changed and then we're headed to bed for the night, okay? Some of the clan even got you some new pajamas, bet you'll like them."

He stood up, lifting Métis into his arms again. He hummed quietly as he carried his daughter back into his bedroom and laid out the changing pad on the bed. He set her down on top of it and unsnapped the dirtied onesies crotch, revealing the diaper underneath. It was a little squishy to the touch.

The straps came away easily without a fuss. Kagemura tossed the soiled diaper into the trash and used baby wipes to clean Métis up. He was careful to make sure that all the urine was gone from her skin, not wanting to make the mistake of giving her a miled diaper rash..again, and then sprinkled in a few shakes of baby powder for good measure. 

Still humming, he put a new diaper on and wiped his hands on the towel he was still wearing over his shoulder. Métis yawned and, apparently sensing that the changing was finished, rolled onto her tummy and buried her face in the comforter. Kagemura held back a chuckle and fetched the new pajamas the clan had bought. They were blue and white-striped footie bottoms with a red top. The outfit screamed American and was clearly meant as a joke when purchased.

He peeled the onesie off her and, working carefully with very little help on the sleepy baby's part, replaced it with the pajamas. She slumped against him, mouth open a little, while he was working to get the bottoms on. Kagemura shook his head and grabbed the pacifier from where it was still attached to the bodysuit, pushed it into her mouth and gathered her up, setting her under the covers at the top of the bed.

Hard as it was to leave her when he looked so sweet, he managed. He cleaned up the changing pad and then went to go get changed for the night. Then he shut the light off and joined his little one, just watching over her for a moment. He wondered if a crib would be needed at some point or at least a little bed of her own. He had plenty of room; god knows two of the three attached unused rooms on his floor's wing never went to use. He'd have to consider the pros and cons later.

He leaned over to kiss Métis on the brow and said softly, "Good night, my precious one."