HTR: Ch. 13~ Frustration and Cheerleading

RECAP:

"Whatever. I'm going home Kyle. See you later." I turned to leave.

 "Why don't you break up with me?" Kyle wondered aloud. I froze at his voice. Was money really this important?

Taking a deep breath, I asked myself the same question. Why couldn't I just cough up the money? Wouldn't that be easier? No. I needed to prove that I could handle dates. To myself, and to everyone else. I needed to. Or else I'd be an old cat lady for life. That would stink.

"Bye, Kyle, I'll see you at school."

Chapter 12:

Frowning, I glanced in my car's mirror and dabbed my mascara-trailed cheeks with a tissue and redid my makeup.

Sigh. I was so frustrated with Kyle, it wasn't even funny.

"Chevy?" Justin's voice was small and comforting through my phone.

"Hey, Justin."

"Do you want to talk?" he asked patiently as I took a couple deep breaths. No, I called you and don't want to talk. Yes, I want to talk.

"Well, this... friend that I have... I really want to keep him close, but he totally ignored me when I went to the carnival with him a few minutes ago, so I left nicely as I could. But... I just don't know what to do and I need your advice."

It was cloudy and sprinkling. Matched my mood perfectly.

"Well, can I meet up with you somewhere?" He asked.

"Um, sure?" I said, turning on my car. "Where?"

"How about my house? In five? Are you close?"

"Yeah, see you." I smiled, a bit puzzled, as he hung up. Why did he want to see me? Did I do anything wrong?

Oh my gosh, he was going to totally break up with me! He couldn't do it over the phone, because he was too much of a gentleman!

No. That couldn't be it. However, I was suddenly nervous as I pulled out and began to drive to Justin's.

I arrived, sooner than I would've liked, and got out.

"Chevy, hey!" Justin called, jogging down his steps to meet me. I forcibly smiled, almost forgetting to breathe. He looked really good in a casual tee shirt and dark jeans. I knew I looked pretty cute from my date, but I still smoothed down my hair and chewed on my lip. I was really cheating on him. He didn't deserve it. But it was only for another couple days... then it'd be fine.

"Hey."

"Chevy... I missed you," he murmured, hugging me.

"Yeah, same," I whispered hoarsely, staring into his beautiful grey eyes, realizing that his nose was crooked at the tip, and he had a tiny white birthmark at the inside of his eyelid. I hadn't been this close to him ever, or even been able to study him like this. Frankly, I liked it.

"Chevy, I really, really like you," he breathed.

"I... like you too," I muttered, guilty. 

He smiled genuinely.

"Um, what advice did you have?" I hurriedly asked, accidentally ruining the moment. Oops.

He smiled again. How does he look so handsome smiling? It honestly wasn't fair.

"Well, I think you should ditch that guy friend and come with me," he teased, grinning good-naturedly.

"I c-can't, sadly. It's complicated," I winced.