HTR Chapter 6~ Drama

Read the A/N at the end, please. :) Thanks!

Chapter 6~ Drama

I finally broke down on the curb next to a Dairy Queen. Coincedence? I think not.

Sniffing, I thought of all the questions swirling around in my head. Would it be awkward next time I saw him? Would he dump me? Would he think I dumped him? Would Mandy and Cyn be merciful and not call our bet off even though I broke the "don't tell Kyle" part of the agreement? What would happen?

Sighing, I managed to turn off the waterfalls, dry my face off, and stand up. It was only a matter of time before I broke down again, though. When my tears rained, they poured. I couldn't even smile at the Morton Salt bottle I had just quoted.

I stuffed the Kleenex into my purse and decided to treat myself to some ice cream. Walking into the Dairy Queen, a little bell signaled my arrival to the bored-looking waitress.

"What can I getcha?" The teen asked, popping a load of gum and swishing her curly dark hair over one shoulder.

"Um, large bowl of mint chocolate chip, please," I said, fumbling around in my purse for money. Dismayed, I realized that I didn't have enough.

"Never mind, I don't have enough money," I frowed apologetically at the waitress. She rolled her eyes.

"Whatever."

I stepped to the side, letting the man behind me step up and order.

"Hi there, can I get a cookies and cream large cone and a large bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream, please?" He ordered. I frowned again. He was like, taunting me, it seemed.

"Sure. Be ready in five. That's six bucks, fifty-seven cents. Thanks for coming to Dairy Queen," the waitress muttered, sounding very rehearsed.

I finished putting my money up, turning to leave. Instead, I was met with someone's arm.

"Excuse me?" I stared at the arm before turning to its owner. It was the man who ordered behind me.

He smiled at me. "Hey, wait. Your ice cream's ready now."

"What? I didn't order any ice cream. I don't have enough money," I said, frowning. He was pretty handsome, for a guy. Longish brown hair, on the dark side, with piercing grey eyes and a kind smile.

"I know, I ordered for you. Come sit," He smiled again, leading the way to a booth with ice cream in hand. I followed, blinking dumbly.

Clank. He set the glass bowl with mint chocolate chip ice cream down before me. My brain tried to catch up. A cute guy just bought me ice cream...

"Why'd you buy this?" I asked him, beginning to eat. "I don't even know you."

He shrugged. "Well, it's not a crime to give ice cream to pretty girls who are sad."

I sighed, hiding a smile by spooning ice cream in my mouth. "Thanks. You're like, the only person that's been nice to me this whole night."

"Really? What happened?"

My whole story came spilling out, along with some tears. I didn't know why I was spilling my guts to some random guy, but I guess it was good to get all the drama out. Now I felt better, but embarrassed. I was crying again.

"Sorry you had to hear that," I mumbled awkwardly. To my surprise, he laughed.

"Hey, don't worry. Looks like you'll have some explaining to do, though. I'll bring you home, though, if you want," he said, and I realized with a start that we were both finished with our ice creams and half of the people in the shop were gone.

"It's okay, I'll just take the bus..." I murmured, still embarrassed.

"With what money?" He asked.

Oh yeah.

"Um, I don't know. Thanks so much, for buying ice cream, and, you know, listening," I said, smiling a little.

"Here's some money for the bus. I'm Justin, by the way."

"Chevy. Thanks so much, again."

Justin smiled, showing all his white teeth this time. "Don't worry about it. I'll see you around, maybe."

"Sure."

I watched him stand up and walk back to a group of boys hanging in the corner, eating ice cream. They all greeted him.

I sighed. That got a lot off my chest. Now I just needed to find Kyle and come up with a good explaination. What was I going to say?!

**********************************************

I didn't have to worry long. For as soon as I stepped out of the ice cream shop, I collided with what seemed like a second door. "Ouch!"

"I'm so sorry-- Chevy!" I froze, staring at Kyle. He was staring at me wildly.

Sweat dripped from his hair and was soaking the hair at his temples. His eyes were filled with worry, and he was breathing hard.

"Um, hey, Kyle... what's up?" I mentally slapped myself. Not. Cool.

"I was looking all over for you, Chevy! Gosh, I need water," he muttered the last part, hands on knees. I wrinkled my nose as I caught a whiff of sweat. Gross.

Should I ask him our relationship status? No way. Awkward, what should I say?!

"So, did you enjoy the dinner at the Hooke?"

"No, we ran after you immediately."

"Kyle, I--"

"Chevy, will you go out with me next Friday without your friends there at my dad's restaurant? To make it right, you know... I don't want you thinking that the Hooke isn't awesome."

***********************************************

Kyle's POV

Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid! I shouldn't have even said that... now she'll think that I actually care that she has a good time, and she won't dump me. What do I do now? But then again, she'll think I'm caring, so then she'll like me, not seeing my slob cover for the bet... Should I tell her about the bet so that we can really be together?

She blinked, her eyes red. From me? The thought gave me unexpected sadness.

"What? You still want to go out with me?"

"Uh, sure... You still want to go out with me? Why would I not?" I asked, frowning. She hadn't done anything to me, except blurting out something about a bet. I didn't really believe that-- a cover up excuse for breaking up with me? But that didn't make any sense... I was so confused. Should I ask her about it?

"Of course I do!" Dang it-- but yay at the same time. No money, but love-- sounds pretty good right now.

WOAH. I blinked. Did I just think the l-word? Love? Did I love Chevy?

No. I couldn't love her with her hating me. I just really liked her.

What would I do?

And people say that a guy's brain is simple.

{A/N: Hey guys, what's up? So sorry for not updating in a long time, I just had a gargantuan (sp?) writer's block, and to get over that I started a little blurb that turned into a whole story that I'm now working on a lot (Escape-- half posted). And then I went back and looked over this story, and realized that I didn't have to completely start over, as I thought I would. I just really didn't like chapter 6 (mugger chp). It didn't fit along with the dramatic, humorous feel of this story, so I deleted it and started again from here, disregarding the rest that I wrote (like 30 pages more. Maybe I'll incorporate some of that into my new storyline.). Phew. That was a lot to write. And to think I pulled this whole chap out in an hour today. Wow. Pretty good? Click vote and comment if you're glad that HTR is restarted! (Warning you, I'll update a bit slower now that I'm dividing time between HTR and Escape. And a new story I'm starting. I should stop starting new stories.) Okay guys, if you read this whole thing put the word "penguin" somewhere in your comment and tell me what you think of HTR returning! Thanks for sticking with me, guys! :) ~ridingrl}