HTR: Ch. 9~ Clumsiness Never Fails

RECAP:

"Cyn, I'm going to talk to my parents and get them to give you guys money."

In any other situation, Cyn would've protested. She knew that my parents weren't very generous or giving. However, I could tell that she really needed this money, and, as her once again best friend, I needed to help her when she needed me.

Cyn sighed. "Thanks, girl. I love you." I smiled sadly.

My phone chose to interrupt that sentimental moment by blaring out a popular pop song.

I glanced at the caller ID. Justin. Oh, great.

Chapter 9:

Sitting perched erect on Cynthia's couch, listening to my phone ring, and pretending to ignore it while Mandy and Cyn gave me weird looks was one of the most awkward moments ever.

Seriously. And that was saying a lot.

"Uh, Chevy?"

"Hmm?" I gazed innocently at Mandy.

"Aren't you going to answer your phone?"

"Oh, no. It's okay. We're having girl time here. Boys can wait."

"Hold on, a boy is calling you?!" Cyn jumped on the chance that I may not be a social failure after all.

My eyes widened as I realized my mistake. "No! Whoever said that?! Ha! A boy calling me! What?!" I hastened to cover up my slip, but just made it worse.

Somehow, in the moment of my embarassment and distraction, Mandy snagged my phone out of my pocket and answered.

"Hello?"

I froze. Oh, no. I loved my friends, really, but seriously. They would want me to cheat on Kyle with Justin, even though Justin probably only saw me as a friend. First, I would never cheat on anyone. That's not me. Plus, if Justin didn't see me as a girl fit to be his 'girlfriend', then I would die of embarassment.

"This is one of Chevy's friends, yes. I'm Mandy. Justin, is it?" Pause. "That's lovely. How did you meet Chevy?" Another pause, longer this time. "Oh, really, now?"

"No, she did not tell us about you...no, we have had things going on... yes, she's been very busy. Say, do you think of Chevy as one fit to be in a relationship with you?"

I choked on my own spit. "Mandy!" She gave me a sly smile, then pressed the speaker button so I could hear Justin's response. I didn't want to. What if he totally rejected me? Butterflies flew from my stomach to my throat. Did I like him? He seemed nice, and was handsome. He was polite and bought me ice cream. Maybe.

Justin's voice came from my phone's speaker. "Um, that's actually why I called... is Chevy there?"

Cyn answered. "Yup, right here. She's listening, frozen in the spot, waiting for your answer."

He chuckled, and I gasped, elbowing Cyn in the side. "Ow! Okay, not frozen anymore. Please, go on, Justin, before I end up dead."

Justin laughed again. "Okay, well, hi, Chevy. I called because I wanted to know if you wanted to... maybe... go on a date with me?"

I blinked. "Uh, but I don't even know you!" Wow, way to sound rude. "Sorry, that sounded so rude."

"No problem. And, hey, isn't that the point of a date? To get to know someone better?"

He had me there. I just... didn't want to go out with him.

Liar. I did. I just couldn't stand the thought of Kyle finding out.