12.

The good doctor and I shared a prolonged stare of mutual distrust. I refused to be the first to look away, but I shouldn’t have worried. She nodded curtly and rose from her chair, her heels clicking softly as she took her leave.

I remained in my seat a few moments longer and racked my brain for any idea on the doc’s possible endgame. What did she hope to accomplish by suggesting Thomas and I talk?

A sudden yawn overtook my senses, and my jaw popped as my mouth opened a little too wide. I’d had nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs for so long. Now, I just wanted to sleep in my own bed.

I rose to my feet and walked over to the windows, my hands grasping the bars as I watched the rain roll down the bullet-proof pane. The few trees I saw in the courtyard below were bundled under a layer of bright yellow leaves. The wind picked up, and several red-hued leaves broke loose, falling heavily to the ground below.

Early Autumn – September, maybe? If I was right, then Dr. Miller had kept me in isolation for several months. I didn’t understand. If Liz had killed herself, then I was innocent, so why did they keep me locked in solitary?

In watching the leaves turn loose from the withering trees, tucking themselves into dormancy for the coming winter, I felt more alone than ever. I was adrift, with no lifeline and no anchor.

Master misses you.

He begs you to let him back in.

Forever his, you shall remain, your mind will never be yours again.

“They’re right, you are his, forever.”
I whirled to face the man standing entirely too close behind me. My body erupted in chills, my skin crawling in an effort to escape the creeped-out sensation.

“Don’t do that,” I snapped, narrowing my eyes at Thomas. “Don’t ever sneak on me again.”

“Sorry,” he muttered, and reached to shove at his glasses.

“You weren’t wearing those in group.” My accusatory tone caused him to flinch, and snatch the glasses from his face.

“They help me see the demons,” he explained before tucking them into his front shirt pocket. “But everyone makes fun of me when I wear them.”

I felt like a heel. I hadn’t meant it the way he’d taken it. It just dawned on me that he hadn’t been wearing glasses before, and now he was. A small detail in an otherwise overshadowed place.

“Well, you might want to be careful with that,” I warned. “Some of the other residents don’t like things out of place. If they see you wearing glasses, and then you take them off, they’ll probably riot on you.”

I turned to fully face him, my eyes raking him from head to toe. From disheveled brown hair, extending in little tufts all over his head, to his rumpled t-shirt and jogging pants. He was a few inches taller than me, had wide, deep-chocolate eyes, and hollow cheekbones. He looked gaunt, pale, and starving.

Trust him.

Don’t trust him!

He’ll sacrifice you to the angels!

I just threw up in my mouth, stop talking about those insects!

“I only mentioned the voices to get your attention,” he offered, and spun on his heel, his long, lean legs eating the distance between us and the doorway. “You’re new to this world, I’ve lived here all my life,” he added over his shoulder and then disappeared into the dimly lit hall.

“Oooookay,” I exhaled with a short laugh.

Nuttier than a fruitcake.

Pick out the oranges, I don’t like oranges.

He didn’t look that much older than me, but I suppose he could be close to twenty-five. Yet, that wasn’t a long time by any standards.

He’s a pretty boy. A demon cooed. He’d makes a nice roll in the hay.

Can’t wait to have him in my mouth.

I clenched my teeth, and wiped the mental images as quickly as they formed. Instead I tried focusing on the mystery of Dr. Miller.

An overwhelming need for sleep swept over me, and my legs buckled. I caught the window-ledge before hitting the floor, and wrestled myself back to my feet. I needed to find out what was going on, but first, I needed some sleep.

Dream of swimming in Liz’s blood. I want to taste her again.

She was yummy.

She tasted like chicken.

Ignoring the internal monologue, I stumbled my way to my room, dragged my feet across the threshold, and fell face-first onto my bed. I drifted off with the smell of rotten eggs and ketchup tickling my nose.

*******************************
Who do you think Thomas is?