Chapter 3 - Roses and Plumerias

Start from the beginning

Something about her empathy towards the animal his family killed to live almost made him feel human.

"Black ink didn't do her justice."

In the gardens, he tried desperately in silence to read her mind but nothing. "Why did a pathetic little creature upset her so much? We drain so much of them without a second thought."

Nicolae licked his fangs. His mind wandered too far for his liking.

"How does she taste?"

Octavian stared at him from his prison of oil paints and golden frames. "Having a child is an accepted death sentence." Nicolae never regretted bringing Octavian into the world nor did he regret holding his little cherub, watching his chubby cheeks puff out when the baby yawned and stretched. Nicolae never wanted to be away from him, even pushing his pram and feeding him brought a smile to his face. Without thinking he unconsciously brought his hands to his chest as if holding a tiny human.

Leaning back, his eyes meet the chandeliers glittering above him. He tried to regain the sparkle of life those things had but his life remained like the light above him, artificial.

"Selene...." he thought closing his eyes, imagining her with his back to him. "Why can't I read you?" Nicolae pleaded with her "Please let me in."

Weak. A vampire who'd killed and took life so easily yet a woman made him weak. He got up and reached for a book. Idly he flicked the tome of diverse creatures inhabiting the world.

"Churel, Churile, Langsuir, Pontianak." Nicolae paused to read about the creatures roaming across southern and southeast asia. Taking note that they were all women who lost children, his chest constricted. They reminded him of her. She loved children but at the same time they seemed to bring her unhappiness.

"Their love for their offspring and their grief drive them to a point where they cannot cross over. These creatures are doomed to eternal grief."

Nicolae sighed.

"I can sympathize." his fingers stayed still on the smooth pages "Losing you.." he turnt to the painting. "Was the worst thing in life. Prayers couldn't bring you back. I know because I begged God all these years."

That was his feelings as a father. Nicolae couldn't imagine nurturing and bonding with a baby only for them to die. No wonder it sent women into throes of agony, turning them into tormented souls. "Grief is an experience like no other."

To the eldest grief comforted him, held his hand and walked him through his centuries alive. That emotion followed him around as if it were his shadow. Nicolae opened the windows peering at the grey skies over Mystery Spell.

"And I'll never resolve mine."

Nicolae looked at the passage about the bereaved supernatural mothers once more.

"To kill one of these creatures, through the neck you must..."

--------------------------

SELENE POV

Fixated by a single, silver nail on Nicolae's door, she turned off the vacuum. Selene beamed, pleased with her work. The halls of the Bartholy manor shone brightly as if it were newly built almost angelic. She cleaned the carpets, dusted the pictures, lights and varnished the furniture sets in the hall. The Bartholys certainly displayed their wealth, with the amount of vintage furniture sets and lamps lining their halls. Luckily it only took twenty minutes.

"Men." she wrinkled her nose in exasperation wiping her brow. "How can they live in such filth and be content?"

Selene's feet sunk into the carpet in the halls of the Bartholy manor, leaving the sweet scent of dragon fruits behind her with every touch of her delicate feet. Wiggling her toes, it was like walking on a cloud. For her it was also a time machine transporting her back to her homeland in south eastern Asia. Selene never saw the red fruits hanging from the trees nor would she ever delight in tasting one. Unfortunately she was brought to England before she could speak a proper sentence.