Chapter 3 - Roses and Plumerias

19th Century- London

"Selene?"

Small hands circled her waist as the nocturnal sounds of London at one o'clock as carriages and murmurs from the road filled their rooms. The gas street lamps should have gone out by now.

"Genny?" she mumbled sleepily, shifting to give her younger sister room on the warm bed.

"I...I'm scared." clutching her sister closer, Genevra snuggled closer burying her head in Selene's shoulder.

"It didn't move."

"What didn't move?"

"The bird." Genevra fidgeted and Selene clasped her hands even tighter. "Will that happen to me? Will I be so stiff and still? Will mother, father and you cry for me?"

The older girl sighed quietly.

"It won't happen to you. If you do become like that bird, you'll go to a better place."

"What does that place look like?"

Selene rolled around to look at her concerned face and cascading red curls.

"Come here." she smiled

Covering her sister with most of the quilt, Genevra shifted closer to her. Burying her head in her hair. She liked plumerias and had given Selene some hair products that smelled like those flowers and roses.

"You don't have to worry about what that place looks like. I haven't been there but I know that all the toys and dolls you love will be up there."

"Has mummy or father been there?"

"No, but I heard it's nice, heavenly beings live there. They are nice people."

"Like angels!?" the little one squealed loudly.

"Sssh don't let mother hear you!" Selene lightly reached behind her, smacking her sister lightly.

"Sorry...but this nice place. Do we go to the sky?"

"Maybe."

"Will mom and dad die before us?"

"Most likely my dear. Older ppl usually become the dove first."

Genevra didn't speak. Thinking her sister dozed off, Selene snuggled back into her pillow and focused on the darkness.

"So that means...you'll die before me Selene?"

Her eyes shot open at the younger's question. Opening her mouth, the words refused to leave. How could she answer this? Instead she pretended to be asleep. The little girl hugged her tightly.

"If you die before me, Selene. Tell the angels about me..please."

xXx

Present Day - Mystery Spell

NICOLAE POV

"Having children is like a death sentence." Nicolae wrote in his daily journal. "What did she mean?" he pondered, watching the candle flames flicker.

"How can you love Lorie yet say this?"

All of his previous entries were written in a dull black ink that told of his everyday tasks. Black reminded him of darkness within him, hence he wrote in silver ink about Lorie's nanny. Silver like the cross dangling from his neck and like the drops of crystalline rain outside, she comforted and soothed the monotony of his everyday life. And for the silver tongued lies he hid. That little mouse they buried? Lorie killed and drank its blood while the pathetic creature thrashed and squirmed but his maid didn't need to know that.