Chaper Seven

"You're doing wonderful, Toni. I couldn't be more proud of you."

I rolled my eyes, flipping through the plastic paper that contained all the channel numbers. No matter how many times I came to this hotel, I could never remember the damn number.

I looked over at Kayla who threw a piece of caramel popcorn into her mouth. I gave her a puppy face, lips pouted and eyes wide, pleading for her to tell me the Cartoon Network channel.

"56," Kayla answered with a sigh. I smiled at the beautiful dark brown haired, light green eyed, and dark skinned girl before me.

"Thanks so much, sis," I teased and instantly her head ducked down as she bit her lip. Laughing, I flipped through the channels to find CN. The Amazing World Of Gumball was on.

Yessssss.

I walked over to my hotel bed and plopped down beside her, grabbing the bag of caramel popcorn out of her hands. "Why are you embarrassed?" I asked, still noticing her blushing state. My eyes went back to the tv screen. "Clearly Kaden is head over heels for you. He would die for you, literally."

"Shut up!" Kayla exclaimed, whacking me with a pillow, earning a glare from me. "He's the sweetest person I've ever met and I just can't believe how lucky I am."

I let out a small laugh, "You're the sweetest person I've ever met. At least you wouldn't destroy my beautiful creations if we were playing Minecraft."

"That's kind of you, Toni, but I'm no angel. And Minecraft? Really? I was playing the Elder Scrolls when I was fifteen."

"Wow, never thought I'd hear those words come out of an angel's mouth."

She held out her palm to me, referencing the talk to the sparkle scene in Barbie's Fairytopia. I love Barbie movies, so sue me. But upon doing that, she caught a glance of her opal and gold ring and brought her hand down to look at it.

I saw the same I'm-so-helplessly-in-love-I-can't-breath look as she always makes when it's about my brother. My shitty, but love-able brother. Although scratch that last part out because I still wasn't over what he did to me. I fully blamed everything on him.

Ignoring her giddy romance state, I turned back to the tv screen, smiling when Gumball's dad left a pie in the oven before he left his house. We ate our popcorn in silence for a half hour until I heard a buzz sound next to me on the side table.

Leaning over, I reached for my phone, glancing at the message. It was by an unknown number.

Hey, it's Elijah. I can't tell if you're ignoring me but I thought we had a really good time and can't wait to do it again sometime soon.

"The bastard," I muttered. Doesn't he realize what he's done?

"Who?" Kayla asked as she popped her head from behind my shoulder, reading the text in a matter of seconds. "Ooh Elijah? There's a new man in your life and you didn't tell me? I'm hurt, I really am."

I gave her a pointed look, "Wait, you don't know what happened?"

She shook her head and titled it in curiousness. With a sigh, I began my tale of bad fortune and and an even worse date.

"The bastard," Kayla gasped, staring at the bag of caramel popcorn. She popped a few pieces in her mouth.

"Who? Kaden or Elijah?"