Chapter Two

They say that it takes hard work and determination to get to the top, but I know the real secret...good connections and charm. Because the fact is, anyone can study and put the hard work in, but few are blessed with the skills to influence people of influence. But of course, anyone can create those connections; it's fair game in business. And today, I had to charm the socks off the Board of Directors just in case if what Kaden said was true.

The huge glass doors opened as I approached them, giving a quick nod to the concierges as I passed them. I immediately heard the bustling sounds of busy employees.

The HQ office for Delena Real Estate was ginormous with blue tinted windows everywhere and pristine quality environment for every office we owned. Plants were placed in the perfect locations and the entire scenery of the office was magnificent with metal accents and wood furnishing. You could definitely put DRE up against Amazon's sphere in a competition of interior decoration.

Currently, there were seventeen corporate offices around the world but HQ was held in Manhattan, not including the hundreds of smaller offices set up around the world, employing hundreds of thousands of workers.

"Ma'am, good morning, is there anything I can get you?" A petite assistant scurried to my side the instant I walked into the lobby. Her short blond bob bouncing as she struggled to keep up my pace. I was 5'9 with my heels so I walked pretty fast.

"Good morning, Stacie. Yes, give a message to Li Shen that I'm here and get the files for that Upper East Side property coming up. I need them on my desk in ten minutes."

"It's Macy," she whispered before straightening herself again. "Yes Ma'am, anything else?"

I paused my walk as I went through my checklist. The whispers of the employees when they passed me echoed in my ears for a split second before I resumed my thinking. The assistant stood uncomfortably next to me.

"Actually, get me the project details for the restoration of that LA property too and gather the Manhattan group. Send them into my office after my meeting with the Board. That'll be all."

"Of course." She nodded with a somber expression, probably because I forgot her name, again.

"Hey," I said softly, making her eyes widen in surprise. "I'm sorry that I keep forgetting your name, believe me, I wish I didn't, but there are so many people that I have to keep track of so sometimes it gets really confusing. By no means do I purposely forget or say the wrong thing."

Macy stepped backwards, a smile appearing on her face. "I was not accepting that apology. Honestly it was kind of sad because we see each other multiple times a week but the fact that you recognized that made the whole situation less formidable. We need more bosses that take responsibility like you do, Ma'am." I grinned at her words. "And don't worry, I'll tell all the people whose names you get wrong about your predicament."

"You have to understand though, a few times a week feels like a month for me. But wow, thank you, Macy, that's very sweet of you."

"No worries," she replied with shining eyes and an even brighter smile before scurrying off once more.

Approaching the receptionist counter, I gave the the lady my badge and car keys before going to the elevator to the top floor. Upon seeing that there was already another floor before we would reach mine, I placed my thumbprint in the little circle to reset the system so that my floor would be reached first. Just one of the many perks of being the boss.