ELEVEN

"Time is short, too short. Even life can't seem to make the best of it. I've had everything I've always wanted. Little did I know, that it was taken from me. It felt like everything was taken right under my nose. But how? I've always been a kind and welcoming person. So how could this kind of thing happen to me? This journey is hard, but I know you're by my side to make it easier for me. You know how much I don't like being alone."

-Benjamin

●●●

The day I met Samuel, was like meeting my perfect long lost twin. We were so much alike. It was so crazy. The first time we met was in the movie theatres. He was nineteen while I was seventeen. We were so pumped to see the new horror movie that everyone was talking about. Riddles, hallucinations, suspense, phobias, you name it. It was truly crazy. But that was three years ago.

"Hey Ben, do you ever think about what the future holds?" Samuel always asks me questions like that. He's odd sometimes.

"Not really. The future is always so complicated, so why bother worrying about it now?"

"Cause you're going to worry about it later."

"Good point."

He chuckles then messes up my hair. "Whatever makes you happy Ben."

I stick my tongue out at him. He's so very happy and warm-hearted. He's never hurtful to anyone, which makes me like him even more. "Can I ask you something and please be honest."

Samuel raises an eyebrow. "Yeah sure. What is it?"

I swallow some air before proceeding, "what's a soulmate?"

Samuel was surprised by my question, "what makes you ask that?"

I look down at my feet while picking at a loose nail in the bench we were currently sitting on. "It's just, I feel like I'm going to alone, relationship wise. I mean I have you, but life is going to go on, and you'll soon have a wife and kids and a very important job. So, I can't hold onto you forever."

He gives a gentle smile and wraps an arm around my shoulders while pulling me closer. "I'll always be here, even if you don't think so and I'll keep my word." I look up at him to see that he was looking at me, "the answer to your soulmate question, well, it's like a best friend, but more. It's the one person in the world that knows you better than anyone else. It's someone who makes you a better person. Actually, they don't make you a better person you do that yourself, because they inspire you."

I give him a wide toothy smile. "Are you my soulmate?" As I make weird kissing noises.

He laughs, "no you dork." As he pushes my face away.

I chuckled and rested my back against the cold brick wall. "I know I was just kidding. Do you ever think I'll find them?"

"I'm sure you will. It'll be someday, but probably not today." He pats my back before looking at his phone. I look up at the dark starry sky. Wondering if he was right. He's my friend and I'm sure he would never lie to me. "We should probably head home, it's almost nine."

"Yeah you're right, don't want the Boogie Man to catch us." I chuckle as I run off in the direction of our apartment. "Should we have takeout or cook from home?"

He pocketed his phone in his jeans. "I think we should have home food. Cause we've had takeout almost all week."

"You're right." The air was chilly and the streets were quiet, except for the few cars that passed by. We walk under the yellow streetlights. Both of us in our own little world's. "What time do you have to go to work tomorrow?" I asked him as we turn a corner.

Samuel thought for a moment before saying anything. "I think around seven in the morning, I'll need to double check to see if that's right." We walk up the stairs and unlock the door. We go up more stairs to the third level of the apartment complex.

"Should I cook or you?" I asked as he looked for the key to our door.

"Obviously me. Your cooking is terrible." He chuckles.

"No way! My cooking is five stars. I'll be the best chef around if more people tasted my food." I place a hand on my chest acting all proud.

"The only thing you're good at making is ramen noodles." Samuel unlocks the door and we make our way inside. "You can be my assistant if you want?" He gave me a smirk.

"No way in h-e double hockey stick will I ever be your assistant." I go to the fridge and grab a small cup of rice pudding.

"Yeah I know, also no desserts before dinner."

I peel off the lid then lick it, "too late for that. I'll be in my room if you need me." I head to my room and sit on the edge of my bed. I placing the cup on my nightstand and grab my book of poems. I flip to a random page and read the lines out loud. "Every heart is a hurricane, each soul a starlit sea, every mind's a meteor unbound by gravity. And everyone's wishing they could learn to tame their tides, when nothing more than nature is what's echoing inside."

A large crash was heard from down the hall, interrupting my reading. It sounded like glass shattering.

"You okay Sam?" There was no response. Just dead silence. I toss the book on my bed and call out to him again but louder. "Samuel? Is everything okay?" The silence returns. I open up my door slowly. The hallway was dark and quiet. All I could hear was my breathing and my heart pounding in my chest. I slowly make my way down the hall to the kitchen. "Samuel?" I call one last time before turning the corner and facing the kitchen door. I place my hand on the door and slowly push it open. The stove was on so I go to turn it off, then I look to my right. "Samuel!"

[Words: 1042]
[March 31, 2019]