‡ Chapter 32 ‡

Start from the beginning

“Says the one who’s about to die,” he snorted.  He knew he would trigger Jessie and have her surface.  If Jessie was the main control, I wouldn’t be able to heal.  I could die in these next seconds.  My lungs squeezed.  I couldn’t breathe.  He loaded the bullet and my eyes stared up at the gleaming silver ready to destroy me.  “Bang, bang, darling,” he laughed.    

Suddenly fire roared and broke through the door, a heat wave tossing us to the side at the abrupt gust.  His gun clattered to the ground and before I could reach, the floor rumbled and I heard the second last engine explode.  And it was coming from right above us. 

The ceiling slowly caved in, flames engulfing the metal dropping in.  Jessie immediately shrunk back and my senses sharpened, the crack of the ceiling sending my body to roll over, just missing the fallen object.  I saw Levi crawl towards the gun and as it was within his reach, I slid like I was going for second base, toe punting the weapon into the fire.  He grabbed my ankle and I shoved my foot into his face, wrenching away. 

Rushing to stand, I lifted my fists and faced the monster who I should’ve feared since the beginning.  “Let’s see you dance,” I grinned, the two of us circling around. 

He eerily smiled, and threw the first swing.  I raced towards it, bending back to feel his fist soar past my nose, ran up the wall, jumped off and flew above him.  Before he could turn back, I drilled a punch to his chest, slammed an elbow into his ribcage, swung my foot into his side and rammed a fist along his mouth at merciless speed. 

As he wobbled back, I spit on my knuckles and rubbed his blood across my shirt.  Levi hissed in frustration, swabbing his own red juice off his lips.  I strike my leg to his knee cap but he catches it and jabs his elbow into my calf, pain erupting in my body.  He pounds rapid fists to my chest until I catch one, and brutally twist his wrist to hear a snap.  Through his cry, aggression breaks free and he lashes out his leg, slamming down my hand to then twirl and kick me in the gut, the force having me fly back.  My spine banged into a pile of metal and as I was prepared to stand, half of the pillar starts leaning and crashes down, the very tip landing on my leg.  A yelp escapes me, waves of pain colliding into my lower body. 

My arms were heavy as I attempted to toss it off.  I heard a loud ring of a blade and turned to see Levi pick up a glimmering object, weighing it in his hands to then flash me a wicked smirk.  He dragged the jagged metal, sparks flying as it scraped the ground.  “I wanted a cleaner death but this will have to do,” he grinned. 

I tried heaving the metal off, swallowing whimpers as it burned through my pants, heating my skin.  My weight failed to help, the pillar slowly budging. 

But not fast enough.

“Hope they enjoy you in Hell,” he smiled and raised the metal above his head. 

All of a sudden, Romane burst from the side, ramming him against the wall, and plunging a violent upper cut, swinging Levi’s head back.  Not stopping there, he clutched his neck, brought him off his feet and squeezed hard.  I watched Levi wheeze and grab onto the wall sprayed of ashes and splashed it across Romane’s face.  He dropped Levi and before he had a chance to move, the Sniper jetted out his leg, snapping it upright to kick him in the chest.  Romane dodged the next kick but didn’t see Levi’s other leg come flying around, it nailing him in the ribs.

Then Levi latched onto his waist and shoved him down, landing on top with a thud.  Just then I wiggled out of the burning metal and leaped, pinning Levi’s head to the hard floor.  A crash rammed into our ears and I swerved my head around to see a broken ceiling piece fall onto Romane.  Smoke swarmed that area, flames caging in where Romane currently laid.    

“No!” I choked. 

Levi grunted and flipped me, his body leering over mine.  With a scream I bent my knees and drove my feet into his stomach, kicking him off as he flew back, hit head smashing against the metal pillar and drew limp.  I swallowed a yelp as I stood up, hurrying to Romane.  I dug through the filth, and saw the ceiling piece smashed into his face, it downed in red.  I tossed the piece with unknown energy and was momentarily paralyzed by the amount of exposed flesh.  Blood leaked at his ripped face, and I quickly wiped the ashes off his features, cupping his cheek.  My heart skipped a beat.  His eyes were shut.  “Romane.  Romane, say something!” 

His voice was dry and he seized my hand, pressuring the bruised skin.  His eyes opened and were empty, panic weaved through his words.  “Jessie… I can’t see you.” 

I choked on my response and stared into those white irises. 

Though they cut insufferable lies deep into my wounds, they once told the truth.  They continued to be good at one thing.

The Snipers did take out the eyes. 

The Eagles Eyes.