BONUS: Deleted / Alternate Ending

Following is the original ending of Dark Visions which was deleted after careful consideration and replaced by the current ending. It's included here to give you greater perspective, an alternate view on the themes, and for your entertainment.

 It's included here to give you greater perspective, an alternate view on the themes, and for your entertainment

I emerge from the chaos of the eerie cave to meet a calm and quiet night. I blink, trying to register the sights before me.

Tall, granite buildings decorate the vastness surrounding a beautifully adorned monolithic pillar at the center of a massive stone circle that strangely resembles the Standing Stone tarot card. Forming the round are the entrances to five other caves with dark, mysterious openings. The cool air directs my attention to the lack of pain, exhaustion and confusion I had carried for so long.

A moment of clarity overcomes me. And I realize what I am missing in this moment.

My friends.

I turn to examine the dark place I had emerged from and look down the deep, shadowy mouth of a familiar cavern. Directly above the opening, a clear carving depicts two small figures who resembles a boy and a girl standing before the backdrop of a city skyline.

Ever so slowly more of my memory returns. And as I pivot on my heels, I am greeted by dozens of familiar, smiling faces as a thunderous applause ensues.

"You did great, Max." Cecil rocks on her toes with enthusiasm, her hair now the color of jade.

Without a second thought, I rush forward and pull her in my arms. "It felt like forever in there. It was so intense."

She nodded, a wide smile catching my attention. "Oh, no doubt. You completely forget everything and take on new burdens and experiences." She pulls the Standing Stone tarot card from her pocket and presents it to me. "I'm so glad you made it home."

"Yes," Arturo agrees. His distinct Hispanic accent is still strong. His eyes light up in awe as he approaches and hooks an arm around Cecil. "We're all proud of you."

"Great job," Samuel chimes and swoops me up for a huge hug. "I'm so glad you worked it out."

"Would you believe I worked mine out too?" Jace flashes a humble smile and nods as the moonlight bounces off of his blond hairs. "Couldn't have done it without you, Max. Thank you."

I couldn't stop myself from embracing him, knowing the history we created and the pain I had caused him. I saw in his eyes that he understood the hurt he had initiated in me as well. But for both of us that pain was now gone.

Behind me a familiar voice breaks through the noise of celebration. "You've done great, Max." Brent smiles, nodding confidently. "I think we all did."

"Yeah." Each of them nod, agreeing.

I nod too, amazed by the power of learning and advancing through hands-on experience, empathy, and rehabilitation. No matter how long or how many attempts it takes, the process is necessary for our growth.

After our brief greeting, all attention turns to one of the other caves where the handsome, gentle giant exits to more applause.

With his stunning black hair that takes on a blue tone under the night sky, he looks at me with his bright blue eyes and grins. I smile back, my heart swelling with happiness for him and all the pain he has left behind. I refuse to allow sadness to creep into my heart because I'm sure his late wife would be proud of him too.

As we watch one another, instinct tells me he would like me to congratulate him by his given name, Theodore, as he most likely left the name Blamore and its symbolism behind.

Of all the methods, tools and tricks that was meant to remind us where we belong, it was his memory and my visions that guided us back where we needed to be.

Does he feel like a new man as much as I feel like a new woman? I'm a much lighter woman as the burden I carried is no longer weighing me down. And as the full moon lights up the sky, casting a blue hue over everything in sight, off in the distance the howl of a lone wolf cuts through the air.

I am home.