10: The Enigma of Shadow Lake

The light from our helmets shimmered off of the water like a thick layer of black oil

The light from our helmets shimmered off of the water like a thick layer of black oil. The stillness of the lake was more frightening than the prospects of what lay beneath its murky surface. Stalactites dripped with water as they hung like icicles on the roof of the cave.

Brent stared wide eyed at the motionless fluid. "I wish I would've gotten over my fear of large bodies of water, but after my cousin drowned I've been too afraid. Much like now."

I glanced behind us at the dark, vacant tunnel, not sure if it would remain empty forever. I imagined the unearthly yet recognizable faces accompanying our voices and how they would soon occupy the space. My heart raced as the seconds went by. "We have one of two choices. We get in this water and get to the other side. Or we stay here and wait for whoever or whatever is coming down that tunnel."

Arturo kept his eyes fixed on the darkness at our backs. "What would they do if they saw us?"

The look on Samuel's face said it all before responding, "What would you do?"

Arturo nodded with complete understanding. "I guess I'm getting wet."

"What about our stuff?" Cecil tugged the pack strap across her chest. "Our bags, our food ... it'll get ruined."

"And they're heavy too," Brent added. "I brought road flares, a couple flashlights with extra batteries, and a lot of hefty stuff. I'll sink trying to carry this across."

Samuel didn't hesitate. "Toss it. I have all those things too. We wouldn't miss it."

Brent didn't wait for an objection, he lowered the bag into the pool of water and it immediately sank beneath the liquid, resulting in air bubbles snapping on the surface.

I looked to Samuel, watching the tunnel out of my periphery. "How do you feel about this?"

"How do I feel?"

I nodded. "Tune in. Tell us what you feel." I was absolutely sure they were meant to accompany me on this journey due to their innate psychic abilities. I was intent on putting them to good use.

"I feel sick to my stomach," he glanced over his shoulder, possibly feeling the unease of the unknown, "after seeing Jace— I just want to go home."

I blinked away a threatening tear and swallowed the lump in my throat. What madness have I gotten us into?

Arturo exhaled deeply, demanding our attention. "I feel we have to get a move on it. Nothing good will come of us standing around. Vámonos!"

I looked across the large lake at the dry patch of landing. "Cecil, how do you see us doing?"

"We're gonna get out of here," she said confidently. "Bum leg and all. We'll get through this."

"How does that sound, Brent?" I cut my eye to him, hoping he understood that I trusted his insight if he believed in their abilities or not.

"Sounds like music to my ears," he nodded and punctuated it with a nervous chuckle.