14: The Peculiar & Uncanny Valley

As Samuel's frightened and wounded double left a trail of wet footstep in his hast, Blamore and I vigilantly followed them deeper into the tunnel

As Samuel's frightened and wounded double left a trail of wet footstep in his hast, Blamore and I vigilantly followed them deeper into the tunnel. I held the flashlight out in front of me like a weapon, preparing for any surprises. The thought of treading further into the unknown kept me on edge.

Caught in the flashlight beam up ahead sat a medium sized black backpack that resembled mine, however, I knew it wasn't the one I entered the cave with. My backpack was abandoned in the tunnel opposite of this one. This backpack had to belong to my double.

And I hoped with all my energy that I wouldn't run into her.

The thought of meeting an alternate version of myself scared me more than anything else I've encountered in this place. It was like staring in the mirror at your reflection and daring it to make an unwanted move. Although that used to be a scary childhood game I participated in, I'd never planned for my reflection to actually take on a life of its own.

I knew I would never be prepared for that creepy confrontation.

I rushed toward the pack and quickly unzipped one of the pockets. I dug inside and retrieved the deck of tarot cards which stuck together in a large, wet clump. They were the exact same Celtic tarot cards I'd often used, but I reminded myself these were not mine.

In search of some spiritual guidance or clarity, I peeled back the top layer and looked at the card beneath it. The beautiful imagery of The Moon card was enhanced by the glow of the light, and the vibrant colors of greens and blues invaded my vision.

Black enveloped me, completely taking over my sight and a sense of calmness stilled my rapidly beating heart.

I emerge into an open space. A gentle, cool breeze kisses my skin. I welcome it. The overcast sky enhances the tranquil energies surrounding me. The distant howl of a wolf turns my attention to the faraway bridge connecting ancient buildings to other ageless structures. And there it stands, the lone wolf. Its snout points toward the full, blue moon as it lets out a long-winded howl that oscillates every fiber of my being like the delicate strings of a melodic violin. The views are extraordinary, breathtaking, and mysteriously haunting, yet I feel at home.

"Max?" Blamore's voice shook me from my meditative state and I blinked into utter blackness.

"What's happened?"

"The light went out." His warm breath caressed my ear and I immediately embraced the comfort of knowing he was near.

"It's broken again?" I shook the flashlight, but everything remained drowned in utter darkness. The fear of getting caught in another unexpected quake or encountering an unwelcome doppelgänger ignited the adrenaline in me. "We can't be sitting ducks."

"True."

A gentle touch on my forearm startled me and I flinched. "Is that you, Blamore?"

"Yes." His slender fingers curled around my wrist. "Do you mind?"