Clueless Culprits

The wind dances around me, encasing me it's comforting arms. I lean towards the rusted metal railing, looking over the Paris city with a glint of happiness for once. The blocks of neatly lined shops and houses fill my line of sight, and I relish in the perfection.

I breath in the mysterious night air, the Eiffel Tower glowing beneath me. "It's beautiful." Aniket's arm snakes around my waist gently, and he leans his head on top of mine.

"We've spent the whole day here, Krithi. As beautiful as it is, we have a flight to catch in two hours. We should be at the airport." He muses, kissing the top of my head.

I always scheduled every second of my time to accomplish something useful. At the moment, this seems important. It wasn't like me to be calm when I had a flight to catch. I usually planned to the second and rechecked everything I packed, just in case. But, when Aniket proposed a week of just sightseeing, I didn't refuse. Besides, it wasn't like I was going to travel here ever again. I do not want to go through eight connecting flights ever again.

"What happened to your private jet?" I ask, craning my neck halfway to look at him. He snuggles his head in the crook of my neck, breathing in my scent.

"Employees. I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable."

"I understand. It would be awkward to have your boss' wife sit next to you for ten hours."

He kisses the top of my hair again, wrapping his arms around me tightly. "I've been to Paris a few times before. But I've never been here." He says, after some time of pure silence.

"Oh? Why not?"

"I don't know. It seemed weird to go alone to an romantic place as iconic as this."

"I like it. I could stay here for the rest of my life."

"But we have to get going. The flight—

"Yeah, yeah." I say, sticking my tongue out childishly. "We're already late, so we might as well catch another flight."

"Krithi..." He warns.

I glare out into the distance, since he stood behind me and I couldn't show my disappointment towards his statement.

As if acknowledging my sour mood, my children kick my stomach, protesting on my behalf. I gasp from the sudden pain. Behind me, Aniket sucks in a breath, shocked in the momentous occasion.

"Did they just...?"

"Yeah. They do that all the time now. It's annoying and kind of painful, but there's something about it that just makes me happy." I bite my lip. "Here." I say, taking hold of his hands on my waist and placing them on my stomach.

When nothing happens, Aniket clicks his tongue in despair. "Why aren't they kicking?"

"Geez, be patient. They'll kick."

I frown again, and another kick pounds across the insides of my stomach. "Ouch." I wince, batting an eye close. "They're mean to me."

Aniket chuckles. "Wow. They are strong." He probes my stomach, jumping back a bit when he feels them.

"Why can't men be pregnant?" I shake my head. "You wouldn't be happy about their strength if they kicked the air out of your lungs." I complain.

Aniket purses his lips. "I wish I can take all your pain, Krithi, but—

"Don't worry, my dear dear husband. I have a way to repay you."

He laughs, kissing the crook of my neck. It muffles the sound, and a odd chill runs up the back of my spine. "Of course, my little lady."