The Goody Two-Shoes Wife

Rules. I'm good at following them and I've never had issues with them all throughout my life. One would normally think I would be rebellious; with all my talk-backs and unwanted snickering. I married the man my parents pointed at and gave my virtue to my husband like a good Indian girl. What else could anyone in this society expect from me?

Oh yes, a child. I thought that when I finally have children, I could enforce the same rules as my parents did on me. After all, I turned out all right, so their parenting skills must be somewhat effective. Although, the betrothal at birth was downright abnormal.

But the rules Aruvi presented were absolutely atrocious. "I want a story everyday. And I want to have strawberry ice-cream too." She demands, her frail finger pointing at my eyes threateningly. She stood on the seat of the car, her other hand bunched around her dainty little dress. "Everyday." She adds, narrowing her eyes.

I hate strawberry ice-cream and I didn't have any stories to tell, other than the bloody tales of the surgeries I conduct. I don't think sweet little Aruvi would want to know about that.

"Hmm, tell you what? I'll get you ice-cream once a week an Aniket, here will tell you stories." I negotiate.

Aruvi's eyes glitter in excitement as she nods, agreeing with the terms. "Where are we going now?" She asks, standing up on the leather seats.

I wanted to grab hold of this kid and buckle her down to the seat, terribly afraid the possibility of injuries if the driver suddenly steps on the brakes.

Aruvi walks on the seat as if she was tip toeing across a tight rope, her arms spread like wings. She was cute as a penguin, with her short black hair reaching till her neck and her adorable sniffling every four seconds. No wonder Arun had his hands full. She is the prime example of why people don't have kids, but I think she is a adorable, feisty little rebel.

"Where are we going?" I press, turning to Aniket. We couldn't go back to my parents' house, since Prakash and Mayma are still living there. I'm not sure if Aniket is mentally fit to face his uncle just yet. I don't think Aniket has the keys to his house, since he was recently kidnapped. He even has a new phone, by the looks of it. The only two places we can stay for the time being are the room in his office, or my office back at the hospital.

"To our house, of course." Aniket says, turning to face me. He adjusts the seat belt to make it less uncomfortable and smiles warmly at me.

"What house?" I ask, confusion stricken.

"The house we both paid for? It's been three months since our marriage. They finished building it."

"Really? That quickly?"

"Let's just say I have a few connections." Aniket says, chuckling as he winks at Aruvi. Aruvi giggles at his silliness, and goes back to her la-la land, gazing outside the window as she bounces on the seat excitedly. I still don't understand how she is not mourning the fact that she is leaving her brother.

"You bribed people?!" I ask, my voice rising slightly in blinding anger.

"Not exactly. I tempted them with the things they had needed, and they came falling at my feet. Besides," he argues, "they would have never finished building this house if I didn't encourage them. Government officials are so easy to convince when you have money."

"Aniket, how much did you spend?" I interrogate, my anger standing at the edge of a cliff.

"It doesn't matter. I'm loaded, and I can do whatever I want with the money." He says cockily, a sly grin spreading on his lean face. For the first time, I notice his boyish looks. In my eye, he's always been a man sculpted in perfection. I couldn't have asked for a hotter husband. But, with that single irresponsible comment, he might have changed my whole perception of him.