Chapter Sixteen: We are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together

Start from the beginning

"What happened next?" I asked, when it seemed like he wasn't going to continue the story. 

"I realized that she was right. I should have fought for her, so I did the only thing I could think of at the moment. I kissed her. That was the best thing that I could have ever done. Sometimes, you have to lose each other to realize just how much you need each other. It took time, but she realized that I was the one she was supposed to be with. She fought it hard, though." He chuckled at the memory.

"She broke it off with him, and came back to me. I knew that if we wouldn' have walked into the same diner that one day that she would be married to another man right now. I might have met another woman, but I never would have forgotten her. She would have always been in the back of my mind haunting me. But in the end I got her, and now I never have to go through anything alone again." He smiled as his story came to a close.

"What made your relationship work?" I asked like a small child.

"We brought out the best in each other. We both put in the same amount of effort. Sixty years later, and I still do the same things that i did to win her back when we were just twenty years old. Do you have a special little lady, lad?" He asked with a wink.

"I do. Her name is Marcie, and we have a two year old daughter. She... She's beyond words. She infuriates me and makes me smile with the same sentence. She knows exactly how to get under my skin, but at the same time she's the only thing that makes me happy. She was my first love, and I want her to be my last. She's so perfect, and sweet, and good. I just don't want her to let me down again. I don't think I can handle losing her again." I hadn't admitted that to anyone, and now here I am spilling my guts to some stranger in the park.

"Lad, no relationship will ever be perfect. You'll fight with her, and you'll have to bend with some kind of compromise. You have to give in order to gain something that might be so much greater. You'll want to walk away sometimes, but the love that you two share will have to be bigger than all of those small things. That's the key to a successful relationship, son. You have to love her unconditionally, because she will mess up and let you down, but you'll do the same to her." He said wisely.

"And who is this?" The woman asked coming and sitting on the other side of her husband.

"This young lad is trying to figure out love." He told his wife lovingly.

"I'm eighty three, and I'm still trying to figure it out. Do you love her?" She asked eagerly. Like my answer could cure world hunger.

"Yes. I love her more than anything." I smiled as I thought about telling Marcie that I loved her for the first time.

"Love is very messy. Isn't it, Noah?" The woman question with a warm look in her eyes.

Marcie has that same look in her eyes every time that she looks at me. This gives me more confidence that maybe one day it can be the two of us sitting in a random small park in London and look at each other lovingly in the eyes when we are eighty years old. 

By then Lacey will be married, and have children and possibly even grandchildren of her own. Marcie and I may have a couple of more kids that look like me, but have her eyes. 

"It is very messy, but the best things always are." He replied happily.

"Tell us more about your girl." The woman pleads.

"She loves movies, but she Disney is her favorite. She happily passed that down to our daughter. She'll say that she's okay with tears in her eyes because she doesn't want Lacey to know that she's hurting.  love talking to her. I love how we can talk about nothing for hours and hours and never run out of conversation. I love how she always says that we are only going to talk for a minute, but we wind up talking for hours. That annoys the lads more than anything." I smile as I think about everything I love about Marcie.