Chapter Sixteen: We are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together

Louis' Point of View:

I look into her tear filled eyes, and the guilt hits me hard. I shouldn't have waited so long to do this. She didn't deserve for me to drag it out like I did.

"This is about Marcie isn't it?" She asked in a small voice.

"Eleanor, I'm so sorry." I truly meant it. I had never been more sorry for hurting anyone.

"Why? Why her, Louis? She's the one that left. She's the one that hurt you. We were so happy until she came back." Eleanor was frowning at me. I had never seen her react like this before.

Of course, I didn't expect her to take this well. I'm not stupid, and I knew that Eleanor loves me. She may even be in love with me, but she deserves to have someone who adores her the way that she adores them.

"I've always loved her, El. She was my first true love, and she taught me a lot. She taught me things that I'll never forget." I didn't really want to go on and on about why it was always going to be Marcie. I knew that would just make it harder for you.

"All of those break up songs make so much sense now, don't they? I never thought we would be those people, Lou." She smiled a small smile, and the first tears fell from her eyes.

"I didn't either, Eleanor. If I had met you before I met Marcie, maybe things would be different." I didn't know if that were true. If fate is real, then I would have wound up with Marcie no matter what the situation was, and there was a reason that I did indeed meet Marcie first.

"I better go now, Lou. I wish you and Marcie the best. I really do. I want you to be happy, Louis. I'm going to miss you." She said softly before she kissed my cheek one last time.

I watched her turn to walk away, but I grabbed her wrist to stop her. We couldn't end this way.

"Eleanor. I don't want you to hate me. I don't want this to be this way." I couldn't find the words to say exactly how I was feeling.

"Louis, I don't hate you. You love who you love. I promise that I'll be just fine. Just be careful. We all know how unpredictable Marcie can be." She smiled a genuine smile, and this time I let her walk away from me.

Eleanor and I just went from one of the world's favorite couples to being strangers with amazing memories in a matter of minutes. 

I just continued to sit in the park and soak up the sun. I wasn't really looking forward to going out with Marcie tonight. Sure, I want to spend time with her, but I didn't want to tell her about her father. I wasn't sure that I could. 

I spotted an older couple, that had to be in about their eighties, sitting on a bench a few feet from where I was sitting with my head in my hands. They were holding the other's hand, and smiling like they just won the lottery. I see the woman say something before she stands up and walks away. The man watches after her with a sweet smile. He looked at her with so much love that I couldn't help but be jealous. I wanted a relationship like that.

I get up from where I was sitting and go to take the now empty one next to the old man. He looks over at me and smiles, but before I could say anything he is the one talking.

"I know what you're thinking, but it wasn't always that easy. She was a fiery young lass. She left me when we were eighteen, and she fell in love with another man. He was her reason to smile, and I didn't like it. We met again a few years later, and she was engaged. I had never seen her look that happy. One night we were fighting, and she reminded me that even though she was the one to leave, but I was the one who had let her." He began, and I was captivated. I was hanging on to every word.