Chapter Nine: Father Daughter Time

Louis' Point of View:

I stare down at the lifeless looking body in front of me, and once again I find myself fighting tears. It had been two weeks since the mysterious accident had happened, and it seemed like everyone was moving on. 

The rest of the lads had returned to touring and recording and were keeping me updated. I had special permission from management to miss a few shows due to Lacey and the situation with Marcie. I hated disappointing the fans like that, but this is where I needed to be right now.

I needed to be right here with my daughter sleeping on my lap, while I sat here hoping and praying that her mother would wake up any second now. This is where I should have always been, and I hope this is where Marcie lets me stay.

I feel my phone buzz in my pocket. That's odd, I could have sworn that I had turned it off. I pull it out of my pocket and go to my new messages.

'How are you? I miss you. -El. Xxx' This simple message was enought to make my heart sink

What was I supposed to tell her now that I realized my feelings for Marcie? Plus, I didn't have half a clue how to tell her about Lacey. I didn't know if Marcie would even give me a chance, so maybe I should keep giving Eleanor and I a fair shot. Why is this so complicated? Marcie Jenkins has never made my life easy, she just made it worth it.

Then there were Marcie's feelings for Harry that were holding us back. I knew that she would forgive him before she would ever consider forgiving me. She would understand that he was trying to protect me and in a sense protect her. He knew it wouldn't have hurt her as much if it had come from me.

"Daddy." I hear a groggy little voice call out. It made my heart feel warm and washed all of my worries away. It was amazing how one word from Lacey could do that.

"What is it, love? You can go back to sleep." I coo to her, but she just shakes her head that is still resting on my stomach.

"I don't wanna sleep. I want my mommy." She complains. She's been asking for Marcie everyday.

Of course, since Marcie raised her alone it is expected that Lacey would want her mum. I wasn't going to lie, I wanted Marcie, too.

"I know, sweetheart. Maybe she'll wake up soon for us." I tried to reassure her without giving her false hope.

Marcie's condition is still as unstable as it was two weeks ago. She did manage to move her fingers yesterday, but the doctors claimed it could have just been the nerves twitching. No matter what they said, the small action was more than enough to give me hope that she would be alright.

"I'm scared, daddy." Lacey had tears in her voice, and I would do anything to keep my little girl happy.

"What's that, Lace?" I looked down into her blue eyes that were an exact remake of mine.

"Mommy has never swept this long before." She tells me and a single tear falls from her eye.

"How about we do something exciting today?" I ask with false enthusiasm. She needed to get out of this hospital.

After a moment's consideration we decide to go down to the zoo and then grab a bite to eat before we come back and stay with Marcie for the night. I hated the thought of leaving her alone when anything could happen, but Lacey was my number one priority right now. 

I kiss Marcie's cheek once before following a suddenly excited two year old out the door. I was sure to give the nurse on staff my mobile phone number and told her to ring me if anything changed in Marcie's condition. Not that it would. She's been the exact same for fourteen days.