Chapter 18

Zaynab

"I have the clothes washed Zaynab, will you do the rest, I need to change Abisola's diapers", Abeke tells me as she picks her daughter up.

"Sure", I cover the pot of moi moi and reduce the heat on the cooker. I pick up the bucket filled with Abiodun's clothes and head into the living room then place the bucket on the floor beside the clothe rack and proceed to hanging the clothes onto it. As I finish hanging the last of his clothe, Abeke walks down the stairs while stretching with a tired look on her face.

"Abisola asleep?", I ask her to which she nods before taking a seat on the couch.

"Go to sleep, when he comes I'll wake you up before he can enter the house", I say to her then take a seat on the chair close to the window so I can keep a watch out.

"Thank you, I don't know why, am just so tired", she yawns and sighs.

"Wouldn't blame you. Take a nap".

I look over towards the couch but the girl was already knocked out. Well, she wasn't kidding when she said she was beat (tired). Her loose braids falls, hence, covering a side of her face and leaving the other bare. Her lips is in an 'o' shape. I think she might have a problem breathing or something, because every time that she sleeps, she always breaths extra hard. It's either that or the girl having a wet dream which, in her case is FALSE. She is way too innocent, no wonder he chose her. She is obedient and listens to everything he says without complaining compared to me. I really don't care, if it wasn't because he uses her and Abisola to hurt me, I wouldn't take his bullshit anymore. I hate myself for keeping up with it before we moved here. If I had fought back, I wouldn't be here....but then again am glad we moved here. If I do ever escape him, I want to escape with Abeke and Abisola. They've endured enough. I wonder IF we'll ever escape. I wonder how my family is doing sef. I bet my parents are annoyed with me. But I don't blame them, they don't know what's really going on, they probably think I just don't care about anyone anymore now that am married, which is not true but you know Africans. Mommy herself would kill Abiodun if they ever find out what he's been doing.

"Take it off him. I want his head on my desk in the morning, if not, imma need yours. UNDERSTAND?!".

I take a peek out the window and find HIM locking his car. He stumbles a little as he makes his way towards the door with a bottle in his hand. He's drunk? Really? WOW!

I quickly rush over to Abeke and start shaking her but her ass wasn't getting up.

"Abeke, he's here", I whisper yell and slap her lightly, I move my hand away then place it back on her cheek which is boiling. I place it on her forehead then her neck and gasp at how heated up she feels on the back of my hand.

"fever", I whisper to myself just as the door bursts wide open revealing a drunken Abiodun who's now stumbling over towards the couch.

He looks over at Abeke and anger instantly flashes across his face.

"Did I tell you to sleep?", he screams.

Abeke suddenly jumps up in her sleep and starts shaking but this time it's not out of fear. Her lips is literally shaking along with her. Her eyes is also a bit red.

"Abiodun she has a fever. Please, she didn't mean to", I try to reason with him but its pointless because when he's drunk he doesn't have ears at all. As in everything goes into one ear and out the other. LITERALLY.

"On your knees", he slurs and stumbles forwards.

Abeke quickly does as told. There's nothing I can do either, if I do or say anything, am increasing her punishment so it's wiser if I stay silent.