Chapter 10

Madelynn stood up from the couch and went to the door to uncover it. She ripped the trash bag off the door to see a man in a blue contamination suit.

"John Collins," The man said. "Rescue and recovery."

"Did you just say recovery?" Madelynn asked.

"Yes ma'am," Collins replied. Madelynn stood there shocked. She couldn't believe that someone has come to rescue her and her friends. "Anytime you wanna open the door?" Collins asked. Madelynn opened the door. "Is there any other survivors that you know of?" Collins asked.

"Yes, I'll go get them." Madelynn went to find the others. "Guys, someone came to rescue us, he's in the lobby, come on." The group ran to the lobby.

"Oh my god," Zora said.

"How many survivors?" Collins asked.

"We're down to seven," Violet replied.

"Look, man, we're all thirsty we're out of water," Nelson informed.

Collins got on his radio. "Mercury, open all main to sector seventeen, over."

"Why did they turn it off?" Zora asked.

"They had no choice, they diverted every supply to fight the fire," Collins replied. "I need all your names, then go get a drink. We leave in five minutes." The group's faces lit up in happiness. They are finally free. After the group left to get water, Collins got on his radio.

"Yes sir, Those are the names, standing by," Collins informed. Violet walked up to Collins

"So, what do they think happened at the plant?" Violet asked.

"They're looking into it," Collins replied.

"I heard it was a fire in the parking lot."

"Not likely. The best guess is that it was some kind of industrial accident."

"An accident?" Peter asked, inviting himself into the conversation. "Then what's in the air?"

"And, why is our basement filled with mutant freaks?" Violet added.

"Numerous amount of people were infected by the toxins in the air."

"You still didn't answer the question," Violet said.

"Because I don't have an answer for you," Collins said before walking off. Collins walked passed the rest on the group sitting on the stairs, telling jokes.

"Do they know how many made it?" Madelynn asked. Collins stopped walking. Violet and Peter joined the rest of the group.

"Not yet." He replied. "Anyone working at Keller Chemical was killed instantly but we got lucky in places and some of the people in the valley were able to evacuate."

"So they're not all dead?" Zora asked.

"As I said, there is a pocket of survivors but time is not on our side," Collins informed.

"Do you have a list of survivors?" Nelson asked.

"It's chaos out there," Collins said. "The best we can hope for is if we get out in one piece."

"How are we going to do that?" Jason asked.

"I have a vaccine," Collins informed. "You'll be able to breathe the air outside without getting sick."

"Then why were you wearing a suit?" Peter asked. The group go suspicious and starting glancing at each other.

"I've been outside in the smoke and ash for more than two days. You won't need what I've been wearing," Collins replied. He got a call on his radio and walked off to go take it.