Chapter 78

12th of June 2034
Asuna's POV
2 am

Kazuto-kun look preoccupied this afternoon, I wonder what bothers him...

He sleeps facing the other way which is very rare for him. I try to sleep, but my mind keeps on worrying on him.

Did something happen while he's at work?

My mind keeps on spinning, but it stops when I hear a whimper. I open my eyes and see Kazuto-kun starts to shake. I slide closer to him, "Kazuto-kun?" I hold his forearm. His face looks like in pain as his eyebrows frown deepen and he's sweating too. "Kazuto-kun," I call him.

"Kazuto-kun, wake up." I shake his body slowly. "Kazuto-kun." I begin to shake him harder as I can see his breathing become faster.

"Kazuto-kun!" I shout, but not that loud as I don't want to wake Kosuke and Akira.

He snaps his eyes open as he jolts up. I jump back a little. His breathing is really unstable and I can see that the back of his shirt is wet from his sweat.

"Kazuto-kun?" I reach out my hand slowly and hold his shoulder. He turns his head to face me.

"Asuna." He whispers. He takes a deep breath and holds my hand that is on his shoulder. "Gomen. I woke you, didn't I?" He says as he caresses my hand.

I shake my head. "It's okay. What happened, Kazuto-kun?" I ask as I slide closer to him.

He gulps and takes a deep breath. "Just a nightmare. It's alright." He says with a smile. I know that he's hiding something.

"It's not just a nightmare is it?" He looks away. "It's the nightmare." I use my other hand to hold his cheek and turn it to face me. "Since when?"

He looks at me, "Since I got out from ALO." He replies quietly.

"That was before Akira was born, Kazuto-kun. How come you didn't tell me?" He takes my hand and kisses it gently.

"You were pregnant. I didn't want to worry you." He murmurs.

"You silly boy," I say before I pull him close to me. "Always acting selflessly," I begin to pet his head. I can feel he's beginning to relax a bit.

"Gomen..." He whispers.

I kiss his head, "No need to apologise, Kazuto-kun. It's not your fault." I assure. "Come on, let's go back to sleep. We can talk about it tomorrow."

He nods his head before we lay down again. "You won't ever leave me right?" He asks tiredly while he nuzzles closer to me.

"Never. You're stuck with me." I reply as I continue to stroke his hair.

"Mhm." He hums. After that, his breathing becomes slower as a sign he's already asleep.

"No matter what happened, I would never leave you, Kazuto-kun." I kiss the top of his head before falling to sleep.

Kazuto's POV
5 am

I open my eyes and find myself nuzzling to Asuna. Right... I had a nightmare and Asuna saw me...

I get up slowly as I try not to wake Asuna up. I sit on the edge of the bed and rest my face on my hands. "Why does this keep on happening...?" I mumble under my hands.

I raise my head and look at sleeping Asuna. I lean forward and kiss her cheek gently. "Thank you for always by my side, Asuna," I whisper to her as I stroke her hair. After that, I get up from the bed and take a quick bath.

I walk to Akira's crib, she's already awake, "Hey there." I say as I pick her up. "Good morning, Sweetheart." I kiss her cheeks. She lets out a small giggle. "You're a morning person, aren't you? Even your brother is not awake yet."

I put her back on the crib, I take my coat and leave the room. "Kazu?" I turn my head and see Eugeo already in his uniform. "It's rare for you to wake up this early." He remarks.

I only shrug as we walk together. "Had a nightmare." I reply.

"What's new?"

"Asuna saw it," I say as we walk to the castle' tower and climb the stairs.

"What did she say?" He asks when we reach to the top.

I lean on the frame of the window while Eugeo leans on the wall next to me. "That we're going to have a talk today." I look at the sun as it begins to rise.

"And you wake up because you're trying to run away from it?" He asks. I shake my head.

"Just need some time to think."

"Can you tell me about the nightmare?"

"It's always the same. Seeing those three people, seeing Asuna got hurt." I close my eyes. "It's always the same," I repeat. I let out a long sigh as I open my eyes.

I look at Eugeo and see him staring at me. I can see that he's really worried about me. I let out a smile and nod my head. "It's okay," I say, standing properly and hold his shoulder. "Let's go back."

He nods his head and we walk down the stairs with me wrapping my arm around his shoulder as he does the same. "You'll get through with this, Kaz. I know you can." He encourages.

"Thanks, Eugeo," I say as we walk out of the tower.

4 pm

It's raining outside, so here I am at the library sitting on the windowsill while reading some book. "Kazuto-kun." I look up from my book and see Asuna with a coat standing on the edge of the table.

I take off my reading glasses. "Hey." I greet, closing my book and throw it to the table gently.

"Can we talk?" She asks, walking closer to me.

"Of course," I say as I hold her hands and pull her to sit on my lap.

"Was the nightmare the same?" She asks. She holds my hands that are around her waists. I nod my head. "Can I help?

"I don't know..." I whisper. "I truly don't."

She starts to caresses my hands. "Can you at least tell me how to ease you up? It pains me seeing you in pain like last night..." She asks.

"I'm sorry, Asuna." I murmur before I kiss her neck. "I really wish I can tell you everything..."

"Can you at least try? For me." She lets go of my hands and sit next to me. She grabs my hand and tightens it gently. "Please." She pleads. I take a deep breath before explaining it the third time now. 

After I finish explaining it to her, I wait for any words from her. But, nothing comes out, so I look up and see her tearing up. "Asuna? What's wrong?" I immediately wipe the tears away from her face.

She holds my hand that is on her cheek and shakes her head. "Please don't cry..." I whisper, sliding closer to her. But, it seems she has another idea because she cries again. I pull my hand gently and pull her close to my chest. "Asuna, if you're crying because of my situation, I'm so sorry..." I rest my chin on top her head as I let her calm down.

A few minutes later

When she's calm, I look at her in the eyes and caresses her cheek before kissing her forehead. "Don't worry about me, Asuna. I'll get through this."

"Mhm." She nods her head. "I trust you, my Black Knight." I snicker at her nickname.

"That's the first time you called me your knight." I pull back and gaze at her beautiful eyes. "I'll be okay."

"Alright. But, promise me, if you have a nightmare again, please don't try to hide it from me."

"Promise," I say instantly.

"All set then. How about we have a cup of tea and enjoy the rain?" She asks as she stands up and grabs my arm. I pick up the book as she pulls me with her.

"You didn't even give me a chance to answer the question," I say while we leave the library.

"You refuse my invitation?" She remarks, turning her head to me.

"I didn't say that."

"Then, I don't need to hear your answer." She responds with a smile that can stop a war.

---