25• Underground

"The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field" Liam repeats from his notes.

I look up from my notebook and we nod together, hoping the other knows what it means.

It's silent for a moment and we glance at Mason.

"What's a K-index?" Liam asks quietly and I shrug, "I have no idea" I admit, dropping my pencil on the desk in defeat.

We slowly turn to Mason and he sighs.

"Its a scale that meterologists use to measure thunderstorm activity, so a K-index value less than 20 means no activity and above 35 is severe" he explains and I nod, understanding.

"Well, how bad is severe?" I ask.

"Well, your average storm has about 1,000 lightning strikes. In the past three months the average storm in Beacon Hills has 5,000" Mason says and I raise my eyebrows.

"Oh" I mumble.

"What's it reading now?" Liam asks, nerves creeping in.

Mason turn to his laptop.

"14, we're clear" he sighs, relieved.

"Okay, so if a spike in the K-index means more lightning, then we can tell if they're coming" I tap the keyboard with my pencil, thinking about the ghost riders.

Mason nods, "yeah".

"This is good" Liam chuckles making me smile.

Suddenly the monitor starts beeping and i lean over the table to look.

18, 19, 22, 25

The red line goes higher as each second passes and i look over at Mason anxiously.

"Actually, this is really bad".

***

"We need to hide them" Mason argues as Liam shakes his head.

"We need to fight them" he stressed.

"Can't we do both?" I sigh, rubbing my temples.

"Who's them?" Scott asks, staring at us confused.

"The kids at the party"

"The Ghost riders"

Mason and Liam look at each other.

I turn to a confused Scott, "both".

"Got it" Scott nods, giving me a small smile.

"We could use a lightning rod, attract the ghost riders and catch them off guard" Liam tries telling Scott his plan.

"But since everyone from the party is in danger, all we need to do is find a safe place to hide them until the storm passes" Mason explains his own.

Scott turns to me for my opinion.

"Hide everyone, and then fight" i say confidently."

"The ghost riders ride the lightning, nowhere is safe" Liam stresses and i stop him.

"It is if we're underground. The earth can ground the lightnings electrical charge, evrryone would be safe" i look to Mason to check if i got it right and he nods prouly.

"Okay, here's what we're gonna do" Scott stops us, sitting down.

"We take everyone to the Argent bunker, it's underground, it's lined with mountain ash" he explains.

Liam scoffs.

"We stopped the ghost riders last night, we can do it again" he tries, desperate for a fight.

"You didn't stop them, they just retreated, we don't know why" Scott says and i agree, it's too dangerous.

"They did kick our asses" i admit and Liam looks at me offended.

"Kind of" i raise my hands defensively.

Liam sighs, "okay, how do we get everyone inside the bunker?" He asks in defeat.

***

"Is this a joke?" Nathan asks as he stares at the homemade poster.

Liam thought it would be a good idea to make invite/warning posters to get people in the bunker, personally i think it's a terrible idea.

"No, and you gotta take this seriously, once we're all in the bunker, we'll be fine" Liam stammers.

"I'm not gonna miss the first game of the year so that you can make captain" Nathan shoves the poster into Liam's chest.

"That's today?" I ask excitedly and Liam glares at me.

"Sorry" i mumble shyly.

"They're supernatural forces of nature coming to erase your soul" Liam calls after him as he leaves.

He stops, "it was a man in a hat with a gun" he deadpans before turning to leave.

"And he's coming back to shoot you in the head" Mason says quickly.

I facepalm at the attempt when Nathan stops, turning to us with worry on his face.

***

"Why are we underground?" A girl called Jayden asks nervously and i turn to her.

"This is the way to the bunker" i nod, gesturing down the tunnel.

"You guys have a bunker? who are you people?" Nathan asks irritated

"We're the people who know things about the things most people don't know about" Liam squint, trying sounding mysterious.

"What?" Nathan asks confused and i roll my eyes.

"Just keep moving" Hayden says and they walk on.

"Liam, Griffin, where's Gwen?" Hayden panics and we turn towards the ladder and
she's gone.

---

//AN//

sO, apparently people like this story so im back, sorry it's kind of ruined but im trying lmao also this chapter is really short so im also posting another one